Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Resonator Removed - Why Bother With Cai?

Old 03-12-2006, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well a day after joining this forum and reading about the resonator DIY removal project, I did it. It did produce a deeper note to the car under acceleration, adn perhaps a bit more top-end power although it's hard to tell. The car defintely sounds more "serioius" now, less like a wannabe.

I'm having trouble seeing the value of adding a CAI. I know it's the trendy thing to do, but the way I see it the long pipe of the CAI will impose more restriction on air flow than will the big opening directly into the filter that I now have created by removing the intake duct and resonator. Yes, the air coming in right at the front will be marginally cooler, but I don't live in a hot climate 9 months of the year here, and with all that plastic removed from the front of the the car now there is plenty of airflow into the engine compartment, so the air temperature differential at speed should be next to nothing.

Another issue with the CAI could be noise - removing the resonator increased overall noise on acceleration in the cabin to about a loud as I'd want it to go. IF a CAI wouild improve the quality of the sound that would be a plus, but if it would mnake it considerably louder as well that would be a negative for me.

Thoughts? Experiences?
Old 03-12-2006, 02:58 AM

Vehicle: 1997/ Hyundai/ Tiburon

There is a reason to it, but i just dont know where to start....
You will get more feedback from this post as soon as the "vets" log on...
Old 03-12-2006, 07:11 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Ok ure resonater removal sucks in hot air which by PV=nRT when raising the T keeping P, V and R(is a constant its always the same lol) but anyways when temp increases ure moles of air and the O2 in the ai decrease. The CAI is def worth the money it was an amazing diff between resonater removl and CAI. Also the filter is better on a CAI. I saw ue other post and get the CAI before the catback. Cause its cheaper easier to install and more hp.

The CAI will be louder and deeper. Believe me ure engine bay is going tpo be hot no matter where is ure acc air is cold the CAI will be great. Also it will help with detonation cause of the colder air.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:32 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

^^^
He hit the head on the dot. By removing the resonators you have lessend the restriction in the air intake, and that's about it. You are sucking in warm air that is heated by your engine.

The CAI's out there that everyone recommends, have been engineered and MFR'd to have very gradual smooth turns and a bigger diameter of piping. CAI's are FAR less restrictive and create MUCH less turbulence in the air than the stock airbox and piping, and this is where a portion of your power comes from.

After that, the word COLD or COOL is what promotes power. You have to realize that almost everything you do in your engine bay needs to point to COOLER air, so you get the MOST power possible. Cooler air is more dense, hence more power potential, all you have to do is add a bit more fuel and whammo, lots more power. Your car can handle the fuel, but you have to get the denser air in there. How? CAI's. You pull in denser/cooler air from OUTSIDE of the engine bay, through a MUCH less restrictive filter.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:50 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Just to let you know your airbox you still have on now is still restrictive.

So why are you replacing your stock exhaust? Because it's restrictive. An exhaust would have manderal bents ( if you go with say a motoria ) which is much less restrictive and flows better. Exactly the same with a CAI like AEM. Less restrictive because of the manderal bents, MUCH cooler air, and increased flow.

If money is an issue, you can buy a clone of ebay for half the price.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:34 PM

i would say the only possible negative (since everyone already stated all the positives) is that you'll need to replace/clean your air filter more frequently with the CAI because it will be closer to the ground, not "protected" by the plastic air box, and the increased suction will inevitably suck more dirt to the filter. The only thing is that isn't for certain because that'll only be a problem if you're on a lot of back or dirt roads with more debris or whatever, and even so...the negative doesn't outweigh the positives you get from the CAI. Yes, it is a bit louder, but not by much until you're at WOT at about 4500 RPM+
Old 03-12-2006, 01:08 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Big NO NO. A great way to start off with the first modifications to the car is to buy a Cold Air Intake.

The value of the CAI is simple, it creates steady airflow which is significantly cooler. Cooler more dense air will mean more horsepower. Hotter less dense air will mean less horsepower. If you have warm air going into your engine, the air/fuel mixture will will not be combusting to its fullest. It doesn't matter if you live in a cold climate or not, your engine bay is dozens of degrees hotter than the air outside or under the car. The tubing also creates airflow for your sensor to read for your air/fuel ratio.

Speaking of which, where is that sensor right now if you don't have any tubing in there?

If you feel that your car is a little bit faster right now, it'll be even more faster with the CAI. As for noise? No way man, it doesn't make any sound unless you floor the pedal. When you do it'll sound like a Formula 1 car, but by all means not loud.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:07 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

There is hardly a restriction with the CAI man, it's very smooth curved mandrel-bent piping.
The idea, from a physics standpoint, is that heat makes things (most) expand, and cooling something makes it more compact. This is the case with air. Say you have a milk jug full of hot air, then you have one full of cold air. There's actually more air molecules in the cold air jug. Cold air is more dense than warm air, that's why warm air rises.
So, a CAI works by first of all placing the filter OUTSIDE of the engine bay (we all know the engine bay is going to get hot after driving for awhile), and also by putting the filter outside and lower to the ground.

CAIs are so popular for a reason, and they really do work. End of story, buy the AEM (please don't be fooled into getting a short ram intake or an Injen and then telling us that we're all stupid). You won't be disappointed.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:46 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

BTW, the Intake Temp Sensor sits in the OEM filter assembly.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:08 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

^exactly, but isn't it like MAF sensor or something? Or IAT sensor?

Devon, where the heck is your sensor if you don't have anything in there? If that sensor isn't plugged in your car is going to feel really quite sick.

AEM CAI's have a special hole for the sensor to go into. Can't turn down instant cheap horsepower.