Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Removing Crank Pulley

Old 07-01-2006, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im trying to get this aftermarket pulley off my car, but the dam thing wont budge!! i already got all the belts off and the bolt that keeps it secured, just need to pull it off, and the pulley is kinda small. i can get an almost decent grip on it with my hand but i think that if i was able to get both my hands wrapped around the thing i wouldnt be able to pull it off still.... any bright ideas??? all are welcome

Old 07-01-2006, 09:06 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

check out my underdrive pulley DIY thread
Old 07-01-2006, 09:07 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

there is a half cresent little piece of metal (looks like a half moon) that is inserted into the slot on the crank shaft to keep the sprocket pulley aligned where it is supposed to be (and turn when the crank shaft turns). Looks for it you'll see it it's what the slit in the sprocket pulley slids over to get on the crankshaft..

It MAY be tilted a little upward toward the outside of the crank sprocket pulley which is causing it to feel "stuck" try tapping that little piece of metal (it is not attached to the crank shaft in any way it is just a little piece of metal that looks like a half moon that fits nicely into that slot), but try tapping it down a bit and see if the pulley feels any "looser"

whatever you do, don't try "walking" the pulley off by pulling on one side and then the other trying to "pry" it off so to speak. It should slide straight off smoothly.

Any more questions refer to my DIY: on how to get effed by a timing belt and ruin your engine soon to be posted with detailed pictures tonight.

the pics may help you see what i am talking about.
wink1.gif
Old 07-01-2006, 09:12 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

oh i thought you were looking for the way to get the bolt off, you need to grab it with both hands wearing gloves and use your feet to push on the engine as you squat it off lol. Thats what i did, a few times lol. Just make sure you have your hands protected or youll end up with a nice cut, like i did... haha

Or if your looking for some ingenuity you could wind some rope through the holes of the pulley and get a couple guys to pull on it...
Old 07-01-2006, 09:13 PM

o i know what your talkin bout.

when i installed the pulley it was a tight fight i kinda had to pack it on there, so after about a year its real comfortable and doesnt want to come off. someone just suggested to me go rent some sort of puller from autozone, which i think i will try tomorrow.

thanks fellas
Old 07-02-2006, 12:49 AM

puller is your best bet.. and easiest too!
Old 07-02-2006, 11:00 PM

went to autozone and tried 2 different pullers... the frame gets in the way of top of the pulley just enough to not allow a good fitment of the puller. blowup.gif
Old 07-03-2006, 01:18 PM

This may sound kind of crude, but have you tried to use a crow bar/pry bar?
Old 07-04-2006, 08:35 AM

If you have removed the timing belt.. chances are you pulled the engine mount on that side.. find a way to tilt the engine down on the passengerside and then use the puller.

Though, if you already have it loose, it should come right off.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:15 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (green_machine @ Jul 3 2006, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>This may sound kind of crude, but have you tried to use a crow bar/pry bar?</div>

that can bust the pulley

i know from experience lmao.gif lmao.gif