Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Remote Start Problems

Old 03-27-2006, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I went to the local Best Buy today and got my new Viper 160 remote start/keyless entry installed. Well after getting it installed I have no power in drive and reverse. All the power in the world in park and neutral, but nothing when the car is in gear. I can't possibly imagine what could have happened other than a vaccume line getting disconnected or losing a coil pack. Does anybody have any suggestions?
Old 03-27-2006, 08:25 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon FX

the only thing I can think of is that either they grabbed the wrong tach wire or it's shorting out somewhere, thats the only wire in the viper system that would affect power. Take it right back and tell them about it and suggest to run the unit with voltage sensing and to get rid of the tach wire.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:28 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Uhh, take it back and let them mess with it.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:34 PM

I never left the parking lot, and the tech (a friend of mine) and I sat there and completely tore the system out and the car still did it. We went over every wire he put in and couldn't find a problem. Just for clarification he has been doing this for 5 years now. So should I just take it into Hyundai and if its something he did make Best Buy pay for it since the work is warrantied for life?
Old 03-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I would make Best Buy fix the problem, OR cover costs for Hyundai fixing it.

I would also suggest never taking it to Best Buy or Circuit City. I got mine professionally installed at CarTronics (well known local company). I've had friends have their remote starter installed at Circuit City, and within 6 months their starter will die or something will happen. Never seen any problems from CarTronics.

All I'm saying is to make sure the installation is GUARANTEED for life.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:10 PM

i currently work at circuit city, and like every shop, they have good installers and bad installers. The only way a remote start can kill your starter is if the unit fails or if they set the crank time too long. But if they take their time it should never have a problem. I've never had a car come back for a major problem (other than changing run times or lock features) in my 4 years of installing. I also know many people who work at Best Buy who are amazing installers. But on the other hand, I know a few circuit shops that I would never recommend to anybody, same with independent shops. Basically, I would suggest, when looking for an install shop, go by local word of mouth, there are good and bads to both independent shops and corporate shops.

Back on topic, I'm still leaning towards the bad tach wire, or it could just be a coincidence that something else went wrong at the time they installed it even if it's totally unrelated. But if they did mess something up they will pay for the repairs.

I read somewhere, every shop has things break on them, it happens, but the real test is how they deal with it afterwards, do they confess and get it fixed, or do they place blame elsewhere and fight with you untill the very end.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:51 AM

today my buddy and I are going to check all of the vaccume lines and check all of the injector wires to make sure the cylinders are firing. its either a vaccume line or a coil pack, it really couldn't be anything else. does anybody have any advice about check the vaccume lines?
Old 03-28-2006, 11:00 AM

Vehicle: 99/hyundai/tiburon/fx

i would never get my alarm or audio in any of those places. you better off going to like an audio and video electronic place. well anyways good luck with it.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:16 PM

ok, yeah so the offtopic stuff needs to stop please. I am not asking where I should have gotten it done. The unit was bought for me from Best Buy and I took it other places and nobody would touch it because I didn't buy it from them. The install work is guaranteed for LIFE. So if they messed up, they will pay for it. Simple as that. I cannot get my car in until Monday though, so I am simply attempting to figure out what I can do to maybe fix it before then. If you don't have any advice, don't comment. Simple as that. Thanks
Old 03-28-2006, 08:13 PM

do you have stock plug wires?? Mine went bad around 70K and were grounding out to the head, making the engine run on only 2 cylinders.