Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Regular Vs Mid Grade Gas = 25mpg-> 31mpg-> 25 Mpg

Old 04-02-2007, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad-Machine @ Apr 2 2007, 04:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I know that Hyundai says our cars are designed for 89.. but with their high static compression ratio of over 10 to 1.. premium just makes sense.</div>

That's news to me MM. I checked my manual and it doesn't say that either. Where you getting this from?

I'm going to try this again. If I still notice an improvement, I'll stick with 89 Octane for the rest of the time I own this car.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:21 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD Tiburon

I always use ethanol blended 98 octane fuel from "United" servo's constantly, I drive my car hard all the time, constant high RPM gear changes, the worst fuel consumption I can do is 10Litres/100k's, which I think works out to be roughly 25mpg. I've also had my ECU re-tuned when I got a 'power chip'
Old 04-02-2007, 10:09 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ Keep in mind they use a different rating system in Australia I woudl believe, If I see any more "OMGs you get 98 octane in Australia/New Zealand/Zimbabwe? We only get 93 at the pumps here" like I see on NewTiburon I dunno what I'll do. lmao.gif

Mads right though, 10:1 is high and before knock sensors/cars pulling timing that would warrant a manufacturer slapping the mid-grade/premium fuel only sticker on it.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:07 AM

Vehicle: 1997 RD Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ("Wikipedia")</div><div class='quotemain'>In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90-91 US (R+M)/2,and even deliver 98. (ron)</div>

There you go Hamhead, our 98 is close to your 93. We also can get 100octane fuel from Shell called Vpower.