Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Regular Vs Mid Grade Gas = 25mpg-> 31mpg-> 25 Mpg

Old 04-01-2007, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ all our gas here is ethnoled....OMFG i hate it.
mpg before ethanol mid 30s when i was driving between home and work, flat road 55mph traffic. after ethanol it dove into the low 20s 02.gif Makes my car run like crap also.

I havent realy noticed a big mpg difference between regular and premium, but ive noticed some. I get maybe 5 mpg better on premium, could be just driving habits tho.

I DID notice a major differance between, the Costco gas i usualy get here, and the Cheveron gas i had to buy last week cause i lost my Costco card again. My cars been running much better on the last fill up from Cheveron then it did on Costco gas.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:09 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

when i was driving home from ohio last month i ran 93 octane from dayton to st. louis until i filled back up with 91. I noticed 2.83 mpg difference from 93 to 91, 93 giving me almost 30 mpg, 29.93 mpg.

I run nothing but 91 cause that is all we can get here in totoland. I have been told by many of my fule delivery friends that the higher octane storage containers are newer and have less deposits in them compared to 87 octane. I was like," yeah, right...you are telling me that just so i will buy the more expensive stuff ". but then i thought about it the main guy that was telling me this will do almost everything but have sex with his car, so i got to believe him.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:45 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LoonWulf @ Apr 2 2007, 02:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>^ all our gas here is ethnoled....OMFG i hate it.
mpg before ethanol mid 30s when i was driving between home and work, flat road 55mph traffic. after ethanol it dove into the low 20s 02.gif Makes my car run like crap also.

I havent realy noticed a big mpg difference between regular and premium, but ive noticed some. I get maybe 5 mpg better on premium, could be just driving habits tho.

I DID notice a major differance between, the Costco gas i usualy get here, and the Cheveron gas i had to buy last week cause i lost my Costco card again. My cars been running much better on the last fill up from Cheveron then it did on Costco gas.</div>

We have an E85 station here. I just wanted to check it out so I filled 1/4 of my tank with E85 and the rest with Gasoline. In Result, my car starts quicker and I notice a significantly better acceleration. However, my gas mileage goes down to 28 MPG.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:14 AM

I know that Hyundai says our cars are designed for 89.. but with their high static compression ratio of over 10 to 1.. premium just makes sense. The reason that our cars can run the crappy gas, adaptive injection and ignition. If the computer senses knock, it pulls timing, this pulls power. If you run high or higher octane, the computer can run full advance on the ignition and give you all the power the engine can give you. This leads to less time at WOT, less time accelerating, and more time at a steady state speed.. this equals better miliage.

Look at it this way. My old tib and my bimmer run similar compression ratios on very similar sized engines. BMW recommends 91 or better
Old 04-02-2007, 04:58 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I'm going to do a test run with it. I have a constant route going to work, 140miles per day, averaging about 60mph. I get about 31mpg right now, and to make it cost effective, I have to get over 34mpg on premium. I'll run a test on it for about a month, and show my results.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:33 AM

Vehicle: 01/hyundai/tiburon

im with mad machine, higher octane = more power (less time accelerating) = better gas mile

question is wether or not its worth it to spend a little extra on higher octane, and how much more your actully spending because of savings in gas usage
Old 04-02-2007, 08:43 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

When I was N/A, I usually ran 93 even once prices went up. I always got better gas mileage with 93, enough to offset the extra cost and maybe a little more.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:35 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Turbulence

I used to run 89 because of the price difference. Until the price of gas doubled within a year. Now, I just really don't care about the extra $3 I spend at each fill up, and I use premium.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:26 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. Muffin @ Apr 2 2007, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>im with mad machine, higher octane = more power (less time accelerating) = better gas mile

question is wether or not its worth it to spend a little extra on higher octane, and how much more your actully spending because of savings in gas usage</div>

here's my opinion.

oil company marketing that Premium gas is awesome---->consumer believes it------>consumer fills with premium in their car---->Psychologically, consumer thinks car is running faster---->Success for the oil company.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:05 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well, I can tell you that some cars simply don't run on 87. I put 87 in my turbocharged Tib once to get to the gas station, it was not pleasant. Cars that are specified for a specific octane rating simply do not run properly when not running it.

Tibs will run on 87, possibly without the motor pulling timing so no power loss. I know my Tib got 1-2mpg more on 93 all the time over 89. It may not do a world of good, but its not going to hurt it either.