Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

rebuild vs new

Old 02-14-2005, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would rebuild simply because with the engine apart you can send the head out to get ported and polished and it will be cheaper because hopefully you will take the engine out and apart yourself.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:35 AM

another point... because you are a self professed Newbie in working on your car.. it would give you a far greater understanding of your vehicle... probably more so than 90% of the "tuners" out there.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:41 PM

thanks for all the help guys. all this sounds awsome. i really do a<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">ppreciate all the help. i like the idea of learning about the car and how it runs. not just puting gas and a key in it,lol. a couple people brought up that if my dad and i do it then we would know what parts go into it and that no corners are cut. </span>
<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">[/size]
<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">one of my friends took his body kit to a place and they did a really $h^t-e job on it. my dad and i put my kit on and the hood. i get complaments all the time. but back on subject. </span>
<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"></span>
[size=2]i have been given a lot to think about. now if i could just easily convince my dad to help.
</span>
Old 02-14-2005, 06:43 PM

www.car-part.com

You can find relatively low mileage engines and tranny's there. usually local too.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:46 PM

it's another of those Father/son bonding moments... I can still remember fondly when my father and I rebuilt the engine for my superbeetle.. He was an ex navy Engineer.. so he knows a LOT about how to build and rebuild stuff.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:01 PM

thanks for the help <span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">tibwrcsbj. and mad, i hope it turns out that nice. every time i say anything really about mods he doesnt have the best attitude about it. N/A mods he doesnt seam to get to upset. anything about turbo or nitrous scared.gif . im takeing steps to nitrous though. on ebay i have bits on a new fuel pump and new injectors. i keep asking him about gauages and pods too.</span>
Old 02-14-2005, 08:48 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

Also this might give you a chance to up some of your engines internals. Giving you the ability to run higher boost if you go Forced Induction or higher compression for NA. I say rebuild.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:35 PM

i just talked to a guy at my school today how said i should build up my internals no mater what. that they are the most expencive but worth it. said high comprestion heads, new cylinders, rods, pistons. any of that sound good?
Old 02-15-2005, 07:41 PM

Well, high comp pistons are okay if you don't plan on going turbo. But if you do, you'll have to pull them right out. Now some forged rods, on the other hand, are a good idea. You'll be able to use them with an NA or FI setup.