Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Reading Cel

Old 06-06-2009, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ever since I had my dash apart to do my wiring, I haven't been able to get CEL codes read - scantools get an error and can't connect.

Basically, I don't know if I'm retarded and left a piece out so it doesn't work, or something of that nature. The bracket on the actual connector piece for where you plug in the OBD-2 has 4 bolt holes, yet I can only locate where one screw goes - on the back of the interior piece below the steering wheel. Were the other 3 not used?

Another idea was that somehow during my wiring of my Turbo Timer, and it being wired into the ignition, it is messing with the OBD-2 scanners ability to connect with the key in the on position. Since the timer works fine that seems to be wrong though.

Autozone suggesting checking the fuse - however I don't see in the fuse sticky where that would be fused, if it is at all. I haven't noticed anything else not working either and I'd imagine it would have multiple devices on that circuit.

Meh well, any ideas?
Old 06-06-2009, 04:04 PM

I work at Autozone and have pulled craploads of CEL codes, what they suggested to you is usually what it ends up being. I personally havent ever had that problem with my Tib so I cant tell you exactly which fuse in our car to look at, but the only times Ive ever got a "cannot read" message, we ended up finding a blown fuse someplace that was interfering. Course none of those cars had aftermarket products wired in either...
Old 06-06-2009, 05:05 PM

You know, I have had the same problem lately. But my port where you plug the scanner in isn't screwed into the dash, it's just hanging loose. Does that make a difference? My buddy said that maybe the scanner I have just doesn't like Hyundais, but I dunno. It gives me an error.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:16 PM

^^ I tried getting mine read when it was just loose and it was a no go either. I really don't see why it would be needed to be bolted up though, I wouldn't think it would be need to be grounded. Meh.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:23 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

^ bolting it to the lower dash wouldn't ground it though, the lower dash is plastic.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:27 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

bolting the port to the dash does nothing. the dweetmobile's port wasn't screwed into the kickpanel until DTN showed up at my place.

i would suggest loking at the wiring harness to see if there isn't any cut areas in the harness, probably is your problem.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:44 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

OBD2 works fine for me with the plug just hanging there
Old 06-07-2009, 02:53 PM

^^ Well, that at least narrows down mine (and Tibbychick's) search for the problem. I'll check the harness later.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:24 PM

hamhead, have you tried more than one scanner? I've only tried the one basic one I have.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:10 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tibbychick @ Jun 8 2009, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>hamhead, have you tried more than one scanner? I've only tried the one basic one I have.</div>

I've tried the scanners at several autoparts stores - Advance Auto at my college and in my hometown, as well as an Autozone. Harness doesn't have any breaks so I guess I'll go through all my fuses.