Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Rd2 dash conversation, Quick questions

Old 08-18-2011, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Rd2 dash conversation, Quick questions

Ok so i was at the junkyard today getting myself some new rear stablizer bars and I stumbled across an RD2 with one of the factory huge CD players, So instantly I jumped on it. Said n done it cost me 40 dollars. Anyways, while ripping it out I cut all the wires from the back of it.. Will my RD1 have the same connectors?? Or is there some rewiring to be done before putting it in? Also there was a steel cable hooked up I guess to the temp control knob, I didnt cut it but does my RD1 have the same kind of wire going up to the dash like that??
Old 08-18-2011, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The steel cable is for the hot/cold mixing door. Be careful not to rip yours off without disconnecting it down below by the driver's foot first.

The wiring, I forget.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:07 AM

Thanks stocker, yes I will remember to disconnect that yellow clip n the other bolt before i rip the steel wiring out.. If its not a straight plug and play I will probably just be posting it for sale.. And also do I need the instrument cluster thing too? I know rd2's look better but I wanna keep my milage thing and not lie about the miles on my car
Old 08-19-2011, 10:48 PM

I put the dash into tonight, hooked up all the power cords to the accesorys, had to swap out the board to from the RD1 on the temperature control for the air to either cycle or not since it had a another connection my car didnt have, still have it hooked up, its a green wire so it looks like its just another light for the thing idk, didnt screw it in but my sweet bigger hyundai stock radio works too minus the forward button which just means ill have to go back to go threw songs, oh well... cant complain for 15 dollars.. I'll post some pictures later of the swap it does look awesome I got to say. Also I havent checked if it worked yet since I had to leave the garage
Old 08-20-2011, 08:09 PM

Well went to test it today and.. Plugged in my battery and I must of bumped my day time lights to be on, so when i plugged in my battery i blew a lightbulb I imagine since my otherside works, The blower works for the settings 1-4 but my vents didn't work Idk if its because I didnt have the temperature control thing hooked up with that metal wire thing? Idk if thats the same wire to turn the air temp and the vent positions.. I was just in a rush to see if it would work.. and in the process either I broke the button for my fog lights which im using a cruise control button where the fog light button would be.. but my fogs dont turn on but my headlights do.. Unless the fogs only turn on when the car is started but I didnt start the vehicle, I turned on the lights and the headlights n side markers worked... I forget if u need to have the car running, maybe I had the high beams on IDK.. I just got pissed off and left my buddys garage since I thought it would went smoothly considering all the sh*t mounted up right wiring wise.. Only difference was the way the pins went into the connectors.. one went sideways instead of up and down.. SO IDK ill have my buddy look at it tomorrrow hes more of a car person than I am.. If anyone knows something im missing it would be a hell of a favor..
Old 10-09-2011, 03:44 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon RD1

Hows the progress on this? I wanted to do the swap myself but I'm hearing it's plug and play and then hearing it's not. I'm going from a base 1997 tiburon dash to a 2000 tiburon dash. Replacing everything, dash, shift surround, and center console with the arm rest portion.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:05 PM

Its a pain, you have to get the wiring harness off of a Rd2 and switch it which means re-routing all those wires. I gave up and just put my old dash in. I wanna sell the dash for like 50 bucks just to get rid of it, its in good condition
Old 10-11-2011, 01:29 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon RD1

I got the RD2 harness so got that going for me. Did you get behind the crashpad? I'm planning on ripping out the entire dash plastic pieces and all to get to the RD1 harness.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:03 AM

there Was a DIY on RDT. Im sure a more experienced user of this site could dig it up... if no luck go to http://www.hmaservice.com/ after u search and find the log-in on this forum. from there u can view the wiring diagrams, and maybe make your own DIY on the wiring swap from RD1 to Rd2. from memory, the clock, radio and flashers stay the same. all other switches need to be rewired as they are pinned differently