Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Rd1 - Painting Headlight Bezels

Old 03-05-2010, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I just got some spare headlights to try this with, so I wanted to see if anyone had any pictures of RD1 headlights taken apart. The pics in SOCKS thread http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...ting+headlights are not viewable, plus RD2 headlights are different. So I don't know what I need to paint once I get it apart, I don't know how many pieces there will be and so on....

So anybody have some pics they can post? I figure the whole process of doing this will be pretty easy, I just need to make sure I paint the correct things. I done the corners on my own pretty goo. And now I shall move onto the headlights, which I will have a set for sale coming soon as long as all goes well.

I guess once I do get them apart, I can post pictures and somebody can tell me then....Thanks for the help.

EDIT:
Also, has anyone tried the 3M Headlight Restoration System from Autozone? I'm gonna give it a whirl tomorrow.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

i have used the 3m kit. it worked good but what really helped it was i used flitz polishing compound after all the 3m kit steps.

in terms of the headlight bezels take a look at splintercel's headlights. he has a COTM pic with a good pic of the lights. basically take all the chrome off.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:21 AM

What's the better stuff to use? The liquid probably seems like it would be easier to use. http://www.flitz-polish.com/index.php?page...;externalId=538

Seems like all the online stuff I see restoring lights involving the sanding process use the power type stuff. Does it just depend on what your wanting to work with?

EDIT:
Hell, maybe the paste seeing as how they sell that in their own little headlight restoration kit.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:25 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Forget about polishing that 'chrome' it comes off with a rag and water. You need to sand it off and paint over it. They say once you go black, you never go black.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:42 AM

^^^ We are referring to the stuff for the outside of the lights, not the inside. The reflective chrome stuff on the inside just gets painted right over doesn't it? That is how I done the corners anyhow.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:10 AM

I recently did this to my automatic tibby, ill post pics of the result smile.gif the only thing bad of the process was my headlight restoration, since it was my 1st time trying to restore them I over sanded them and damaged the layer 02.gif but from that mistake came experience so I tried it on my fx headlights and they came out great. I still need to finish em so ill post pics of that when I have time.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:15 AM

The headlights are slightly different than the corners. The corners only have the fake chrome paint on them which it is best to just sand off and paint over it. The headlights, however, have an actual reflective surface in one section that you'll want to keep. It's for the brights I believe.

I unfortunately don't have a pic that shows this clearly, but you can kind of see it in the above pic if you look at the passenger side light. The inner (toward the center of the car) has a reflector to disperse the light. The other set (the dim) are projectors and thus don't have a reflector.

If I were you, and you have stock taillights, I'd also paint the "chrome" part of the taillights. I did mine and it looks 100% better. Be EXTREMELY careful taking them apart though, or you'll warp them.

**EDIT**
Aha! Maybe this one will help:
Old 03-06-2010, 07:32 PM

Looks pretty good. I had thought painting the whole thing black would look good. But looking at your pic, it looks better like that. Painting it all black would be a bit much I think. I have HID's, so i wasn't worried about losing brightness from my high beams. Do you by chance have a closer up pic of your headlights? And how long did you put them in the oven for? about 5 minutes?

Also, today I tried the 3m restoration kit, that stuff is absolutely amazing. I will post pics of the difference later.

LATER:

This is the two pics of before.

This is restored!!!

Pics doesn't even do justice as to how big the difference really is.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:12 AM

I don't, and my camera is in a million pieces after an experiment gone wrong sad.gif. Camera + 30 foot drop = fail.

I have HIDs as well, but the reflector still helps to disperse the light over such a wide area. That's what a couple of quick tests pointed to anyway.

About 4-5 minutes yeah. I just watched it and tested it after 4 1/2. After it starts cooling back off, pop it back in for a minute and then work on it some more. I was able to get less than a minute per reheat for work time. It's one of those things you do on feel more or less. Just have several different screw drivers handy and some welding gloves or oven mitts.

I also find it handy to remove the old sealant while it's warm as opposed to later... And I've always just resealed them with clear rtv.

3m is the shiznit fing02.gif.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:07 AM

I took apart both headlights successfully today. A lot less guts inside of them then I thought there was, now i obviously know what to paint. Now the question is this: Whats the easier way to get the chrome stuff off, a rag and hot water, or sanding it off. If it is sanding, what grit do i use?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SplinterCeL @ Mar 6 2010, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>If I were you, and you have stock taillights, I'd also paint the "chrome" part of the taillights. I did mine and it looks 100% better. Be EXTREMELY careful taking them apart though, or you'll warp them.</div>

You have pics of what the taillights look like? I have nightshades over mine, and I just ain't really fond of that look now that it has been on there a while.