Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Random Parts

Old 03-14-2010, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (radu_rd2 @ Mar 14 2010, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Dude no offense, but how in the hell (and most importantly WHY) would you spend $15k+ for the end goal of a stock auto tib?!

I just paid 18k on a new-looking 2006 GTOw w/30k miles, 400hp 6liter engine and 6-speed manual. Do the math.

Hell, I'm selling my turbocharged 2000 tib with Car-PC, brand new ACT clutch, and replaced low-mileage tranny for $4.5k, you could have gotten three of those lol</div>

Dude, no offense, but I would never buy a corny G.T.O. Anyway, at the time of purchase I really needed a car, and I wanted a Tiburon. That's all that they could give me, and it came with a high interest rate. So I was willing to pay that in order to have something to drive. Thanks for your concern though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GreenShark386 @ Mar 14 2010, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>when i bought my first tib a 2000 automatic...the lime green one in the pic, it had the same problem. with o/d on it drove horrible, didnt pick up barely any speed, revved really loud, high rps... but if o/d was left off, the car drove fine. you wouldnt even know there was a tranny problem. the only thing was if i went over 60 the rps would be high. it still drove fine though. that was in june 09.

then as time went by, the tranny got worse and worse. it wouldnt shift right away, you could feel it too. not sure if that makes any sense, but you could tell there was a problem. it got worse and worse untill the trans totally died jan 15. and i did put alot of miles on the car in that time period. probably around 10,000. so you could probably keep driving your tib like that with the o/d off for awhile. good luck with it</div>

Sounds like the same problem. I think that's what I'll do though, just keep driving it for a while and see what happens. I may just change the fluid like Krazy suggested. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:02 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

yup just dont turn o/d on at all. it'll make the tranny worse alot faster than with it off. instead of fixing mine i bought a new one. now i drive a blue stick shift tib, but i still have my old one.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:06 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Krazy, of course that if you bought it new 9 years ago it's a different story.

But sounds like romeo's was a recent deal ("With a 3 year finance and the trans rebuilt, it _will end up_ being about $15,000"). So even if the deal happened 2-3 years ago, a 2000 tib was still $3-4k. That's what I paid for mine ~3 years ago..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I would never buy a corny G.T.O.</div>
Uncalled for and really not the point, the point is that in that price range you can get a car that's 6 years newer and has 2-3 times the power. What's corny is paying FIVE TIMES (can you count it? ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE) the market price for a 00 tib.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:20 PM

Like I said, I needed a vehicle, and that was my only option at the time. You should try to be more constructive and helpful. Anyway, thanks to everyone else.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:52 PM

I am trying to be constructive and helpful. I'm trying to make you NEVER make such a mistake again lol There are literally tens of tiburons, and a couple of good deals on 2000 tibs, on craigslist (in your area).

Ok I'm being a bit of an ass. To be really constructive: if it's not too late I would definitely find an alternative to paying $1900 for rebuilding the tranny. Regardless of how much you paid for it, the car is only worth ~3k and paying almost 2k for it is really not cost-effective.

You can find low-mileage transmissions on car-part.com for around 4-500$. I found a manual from an elantra with 20k miles a couple of hours away for $400. I very much doubt there would be any problems (ECU-related or otherwise) with a straight swap.

Even if you don't think you can do the swap yourself, getting a shop to swap should not cost more than 4-500$. You're still paying half than what you would pay for the rebuild. And frankly it's really not hard to swap the tranny yourself, there are plenty of resources to help you (threads and people willing to help on forums, manuals, webtech). All you need is a weekend and a friend to help with a few tasks.

For the other parts you are missing I would look at the part-out threads going on here or just call some junkyards and find one that has a 2000 tib. Again you can use car-part.com, just search for some random part and then call the junkyards that list a tib. They really should charge you pocket change for those misc interior parts.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

CHANGE THE OIL. IT WILL ONLY KEEP GETTING WORSE until it DIES! Get the wrong stuff out, including what is in the torque converter!

There, is that clear enough for everyone?

Krazy you can't use just anything in a Hyundai automatic! Some Hondas use frikken ENGINE oil even. They specify the fluid and they even SELL the fluid at at least one Hyundai dealership in every major metro area. Buy what won't kill your clutch packs!

The other fun thing Hyundai did with this platform (aside from specifying unicorn pee for the ATF) was to run a dinky little cooler for the ATF INSIDE the radiator. The fluid will ALWAYS brown up within 10-15000 miles because they run 10-20 degrees too hot. All of them, always. At the dealership service department, they may even tell you it's normal. It's not normal, it's burnt but they all do it. An external ATF cooler is a must for anyone who wants to keep an RD with an auto for a long time using the same transaxle.

Everyone: shut up already about the price of a car. Advice on a parts wanted thread is pushing it. Bashing something the OP has already done, whatever the price, has gone too far and it stops now. Start a flame thread if it bothers you that much.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:18 PM

Well said Stocker. Good info on the cooler, I had no idea. I 'm just going to change the fluid and the filter and see what happens. BTW one of the techs at Hyundai said that the ATF is $12 a quart and I would need 12 quarts. Really?
Old 03-15-2010, 06:15 PM

12 quarts sounds insane

Manual says:
GENUINE HYUNDAI ATF SP-II, DIAMOND ATFSP-II OR AUTRAN MMSP-II.
6.6 quarts
Old 03-15-2010, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

12qts for a full-on flush, maybe. You could probably get by with only 7 if you dropped the trans. and drained the torque converter manually. Drain it, then fill it w/ 1/2 qt and slosh that around and drain it again, remount torque converter and transaxle and service transmission normally.

Or 12 qts with a probably-pretty-good flush. It's sucky either way.

Call it 6 quarts (so my head won't explode from maths) total and say you can jack up the car in the front and run the transmission through the gears for a few minutes, and it will give a perfect mixing of the fluid inside the transmission case and converter:

Drain 3qts from the pan and replace, you're at 50/50new/old fluid
Drain 3qts (1.5 good, 1.5 old) and replace and you're at 75 good/25 old
Repeat (2.25good, 0.75 old) and you're into the 80+% range
my math runs out pretty quick when we hit algebra but at 12 quarts, with ideal mixing of what's in there before each draining and refilling, you're into the 90+% range known-proper fluid.

If you only had a quart of bad plus 5 of old/burnt, and changing the fluid will help, that would probably be enough.

. . . but you'd be way happier with the car if you just did the manual trans. conversion! wink1.gif
Old 03-15-2010, 11:46 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

When I pulled my auto off the car during my swap I couldn't believe how much fluid it still had in it, especially the torque converter.

As for the swap:

You are putting down like $1500 for the rebuilt auto right? (didn't go back to the original post but I'm sure that's what it was). My whole swap ran me $1400 but I got a fidanza flywheel (450ish) plus I added some other mods non trans related but they were done while the motor was pulled.

You have two options, find a junker and pull it's guts and do the swap (cheapest way since then you can part it out and make back almost everything if you are lucky)

or

You can try finding one of the part outs on here and try to get as much from them. I got my beta 2 trans with 56k for 300 at a junker. Got my clutch for a steal (65) but clutches on ebay got for like 90. Just find a friend who is some what mechanically inclined grab a case of beverages and get ready for a weekend (or a little longer) of getting to know your car a little better. You'll have plenty of help on here (mind you there's only so much we can do from our keyboards).

In the end, if you really like your Tiburon and want to suck every ounce of fun out of it do the swap. BTW, the 5 speeds are nearly indestructible. 01Steve has the original trans and he's coming up on like 190k I think.

my $.02