Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Random Parts

Old 03-11-2010, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's up guys & gals..? This is my first official post, being that I'm new to the forum. This place is awesome. I'm fairly certain that I replied to the introduction message when I signed up, but I can't remember.

Anyway, my name is John, I'm from Bucks County, PA, and I drive a 2000. That's my primer spotted Tib to the left there. I know it's sad, but I should have the money to finish the job in the spring.

Trans has been acting up, and getting worse, so I'm having it rebuilt. Parts and labor $1900. Seems like a fair price, and I really don't have a choice. So now with finance charges and the trans, I'm in about $17,000....lol. Guess that means I'm keeping her forever.

I have a few questions about some parts I need. I hope I'm posting this in the correct area, and I hope my pics show up. So the first part is a plug, or cap that attaches the side floor molding to the inside of the body. The second part, which I need two of is the seat rail cover. Does anybody knows what these parts are called, have them to sell, or know where I can find such parts?

I would greatly appreciate any info that can be offered. Here's some pics. Thanks in advance. smile.gif

Old 03-11-2010, 03:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

If Jmans doesn't have a cap for the seat bolt, I may have one for you.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:39 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

17K wow...

are you auto or manual...if you were manual could have done swap for way, way, way less yourself
Old 03-11-2010, 05:31 PM

Well, I exaggerated a bit. With a 3 year finance and the trans rebuilt, it will end up being about $15,000. That doesn't include other replacements / repairs / mods.

It's an automatic. I almost tried to get in there myself and F with it, but I think an auto trans may be a bit much for me to handle. I'll just leave it to the experts, and I'll have a two year warranty.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It would cost <$500 or so to ship a used, low-miles transaxle to your house and even with a few hundred more in tools you would come out ahead. The worst thing about the automatic is that it's heavy; removal/replacement is fairly straightforward. Just be sure to get the right part and set aside a Saturday to do the work. Get a helper or two and even with their beer it's still <$1900!

ETA: be astonished if little stuff like your trim fastener and seat rail cap are not available from your local dealership.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:59 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

I thought the same thing and forked over big bucks to have someone service my auto. After the 4th rebuild in 6 months it finally worked for a good year and is now in dire condition again. I stopped driving hard after the 2nd rebuild but the end bearings kept blowing on regular intervals. I had a warranty too but despite all of the issues you may (or may not) have when that warranty ends you are back to square one. Do yourself the favor and just swap it now.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:46 PM

My main concern with doing anything myself was the computer aspect of it. Not sure how swapping a trans would affect it. Also, if I buy a used one to swap, who's to say I won't have the same issues with that trans in a few thousand miles..? If I can get an auto with low mileage for that price though, and there's nothing to worry about with the e.c.u., then I'll definitely consider it.

Maybe I will check the dealer for the seat bolt cover & trim fastner. They can't rip me off too bad on a couple pieces of plastic, can they??
Old 03-12-2010, 07:16 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Hey man, Im down in lancaster, if you decide to swap and want some help let me know.

15k for a tiburon..... damn
Old 03-12-2010, 09:42 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You'll be surprised how many times the price for a small plastic piece comes w/o lube wink1.gif lol. But nonetheless give it a shot. As far as a swap and the computer are concerned it's not TOO bad..... just make sure you count the wires the right way (man did I learn that the hard way lol)

Oh and my whole swap with a Fidanza flywheel cost me about 1300-1400.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:10 PM

Thanks guys. The funny thing is, I was driving around tonight, and I decided to switch the overdrive off. I didn't have a single issue with the trans, it ran so smooth. So now I'm really confused about what to do. There still has to be something wrong with the trans right? O.D. on trans acts crazy, O.D. off trans is fine. I don't know.

I appreciate all of the advice. I apologize to the mods for anything I have done wrong posting this topic, since it kind of turned into two topics.