Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Radiator Fan Question?

Old 05-22-2006, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

my car has been overheating last summer... replaced radiator, and now that it's getting warm again, it's overheating.

engine bay does get considerably hotter
coolant doesn't boil
only happens when using A/C and coming to a stop after interstate driving or stop & go traffic. While driving long distances without stopping, no problems.

I pulled out my radiator fan today and was checking connections. I noticed it was spinning counter clockwise and seemed to be pushing air towards radiator. Why?? Could plug be plugged in backwards? The plug cover is partially broken so it's possible to put it in wrong. I noticed on the fan, it had an arrow pointing CLOCKWISE and I assume that's the way the fan should turn. If looking at fan, blade turns: From bottom, to driver's side, to straight up, to passenger side, back to bottom (counter-clockwise from in front of car, clockwise from drivers seat). Is this how it turns on other Tibs?

Fan was propped up against my hood prop. so that I could test air direction (push or pull). For reasons unknown, the fan fell onto my hand (not sure how, I didn't think anything hit the fan or car). It slashed my left index finger up pretty good. Went to E.R. and got two stitches. Dr. said there wasn't enough skin to put more, and there were some deep gashes but most of it was looking worse than it was. 7-10 days he may remove stitches. I was in the process of messing with the plug and wiring when this happened, so now I'm on Loratabs for the pain with a big ass bandage on my finger. Can any of you guys help me out?
Old 05-22-2006, 10:40 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

damn!!!

Sorry to hear about your ER visit!!

Anyways, to test air flow , just take a small piece of tissue and put it near the fan. that's how i test my computer fan .

Are both fans blowing counter clockwise?
Old 05-22-2006, 10:55 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

mine spins the same way.
i dont think its your fans.
have you changed/checked your thermostat or radiator cap yet? you can get the cap tested and if your thermostat is sticking or plugging it will make your car overheat sometimes. it can also partially open too. best bet is to change those first then look at your radiator. you prolly bought a referbished one and sometimes they are not done over aswell as they should.

if your hurting to much to do this work take it to the radiator shop they will help you out. hope you heel quik bro. good luck
Old 05-23-2006, 01:08 AM
Administrator

problems started last summer. I replaced radiator and it didn't overheat over winter, but with rising temperatures it's overheating again. only happens when A/C has been on. I've replaced Tstat twice, changed coolant, and replaced radiator. Problem still exist.

Fan is not in car right now. When connected, air feels like it's blowing TOWARDS what would be the radiator when mounted. I have an electrical buddy coming over to look at it. He installs the radios and lights for Nashville's Police Dept.

Question: Would an A/C relay that's in backwards cause it to spin backwards, reversing polarity? Or just crossing wires?
Old 05-23-2006, 01:47 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

^dude just get a new fan see what happens

i know all to well about fans and fingers i feel that pain
Old 05-23-2006, 06:59 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

hmmmm it only happens with the a/c on.....

do both fans turn on when you turn on the a/c?
Old 05-23-2006, 07:11 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

again^^^

Thank you for your interest in tuning your tiburon, simply type in the key words to your question into the search bar on RDTiburon.com, and you will most likely find your answer. If you do not find what you need, please feel free to register, post an introduction topic, then post your question in the appropriate sub-category. Your answer will be posted shortly! Tuners like you are who help to make up the growing hyundai community, and we're glad to have you aboard! Thanks for using RDTiburon.com!

got you lmao.gif lmao.gif
Old 05-23-2006, 08:56 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ye, if it only happens when your A/C turns on, that would lead me to think that the passenger side fan is not working properly.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Administrator

argh... is passenger fan the A/C fan? that' the ne i'm talking about, the smaller passenger side fan.

yes, both fans turn on with A/C

stupid loratab is mking me stupid
Old 05-23-2006, 07:46 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

you can buy a new t stat thats defective and they do go out quik sometimes.

i had this same problem in my geo storm it was my radiator. it was plugged a little and not letting water to move good. it only overheated when i used the a/c just like you, i ended up taking it to a radiator shop they took the top tank off and ran a flat piece of shiet metal down the slots. they also did a pressure test on it as well. anyway it fixed the problem and i sold it $.$

as i said before<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>you prolly bought a referbished one and sometimes they are not done over aswell as they should.</div>
its your radiator take it to the radiator shop for 40-50 or get a new one for 250-350. get your arse to the shop drillsergeant.gif