Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Radar Detectors

Old 06-30-2007, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: car

**knock on wood, and not bragging** but I have been pulled over four times going over the speed limit by 15+ (like 50ish in a 35, our main streets speed) and I never was ticketed. And that was after the cop told me how fast I was going and whatever (which was wrong). So I believe mine does work. Says it blocks X, K, KA, Supposed to block laser and photo but I find those hard to believe...

This is the one, I think. I paid like 350 for it when it came out. It's kind of cool though, you watch it go KA band... 1..2..3..Gone

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rocky-Mountain-Radar-L...bayphotohosting
Old 06-30-2007, 10:45 PM

^^ Gotcha beat. Like 8 (or maybe 7? I forget) times as of the 8th of June haha.gif
One for doing a 78mph in a 55mph (first stop), then a few more for
like 5-10mph over. One for window tints. Two for the same stop sign (rolling)
and one for a combo of speeding, tail gating, music too loud, and running a red light.

*Shrug* That combo one killed me. It was a SUV cop and failed to realize his light
assembly til it was too late 02.gif He didn't clock me on that one but when he's doing the
limit and I suddenly gone it off (he was reading my plate, thought he was 'gating me)... yeeeeaa... LOL.

I love my Cobra (its the $100 one they usually have on sale for $70-$80 something @ Best Buy).
But for the most part around town, I could do 25mph over on most days and have cops pass
on the other side of the road w/o blinking a eye or flipping the radar on. Usually only goes off
and saves me on the interstate and when I go into the coastal areas (Daytona, Holly Hill, Ormond, etc)
Old 07-01-2007, 08:44 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

"Ohio actually does track people visually. Police helicopters fly above the interstates and time people between white hatches on the sides of the road. Then the helo tells the trooper who to nail." WOW!? They stopped that here over 20 years ago!!lol ..Ladar is cheaper than helicopters for speeders...
Old 07-01-2007, 09:11 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zoned019 @ Jun 29 2007, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>If I'm not mistaken, 99% of the time the VG2 alerts are like the automatic doors on supermarkets and such. Or maybe it's something new that I've never heard of. I thought the 3 major radar bands were X, K, and Ka. Never heard of POP.

Basically, one laser detector is the same as the others, unless there is something special. Meaning that my $90 cobra will detect laser/radar just as good as your $300 Whistler 900AXB200K v4 fancy thing. Unless someone can show me where the expensive one is better (does it have more range? if so, they don't advertise it!). So why pay doubled, or even tripled, the price for something. It's kind of like going to a mechanic, just because he charges more, or because it's a brand name, doesn't mean he's better. I can do the same oil change in my garage for $10, that he will charge me $30 for.</div>
No. VG-2 is a radar detector detector, along with Spectre. Most newer radar detectors stop scanning for a second while the spectre sweep commences. POP is pulsed radar. It just tranmits 1 "chirp" at your car and reads it when it comes back.

When I bought my radar detector, i choose the 2nd highest model. It does 12 bands of information. There are alot of things you can get optionally with radars. Mine detected all current forms of radar as well as other emergency vehicles like fire trucks, traffic safety warning, train approaching, and alot of other things too.

You get what you pay for. Get a phazerII!
Old 07-01-2007, 09:52 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sciphi @ Jul 1 2007, 01:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Ohio actually does track people visually. Police helicopters fly above the interstates and time people between white hatches on the sides of the road. Then the helo tells the trooper who to nail.

Still, the more expensive detectors are measurably better than cheap ones. Maybe only by a few hundred feet at best. That few hundred feet is a couple seconds, enough time to slow down to a less-ticketable speed.</div>
yup, i've been clocked by an airplane before.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:28 AM

^^ really? i never knew that before but it makes sense now. I see those "POLICE AIRCRAFT USED IN SPEED ENFORCEMENT" signs on the threw way and wondered if they were even serious.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:49 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Moved the detector and results came out great. I like where its at alot!

If you glace at it you might miss it. Hopefully wont attract any attention.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:42 AM

A bit off topic, but Landshark, is that a cow behind that focus in the last pic?

lol.

I've never really needed these things. lol
Old 07-03-2007, 12:12 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

offtopic.gif Its a horse not a cow, and yes we have 2 roaming around out and about and I have found one of them in my garage before......
Old 07-07-2007, 06:14 AM

i was using the beltronics RX65 . it was good but didnt always pick up the radar/laser so i had to be careful. also of course alot of other things set it off. This one was about $300. But I did see it in Maxim magazine as rated in the top radar detectors