Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Radar Detectors

Old 06-29-2007, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tiburon Fx

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (01steve @ Jun 28 2007, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>oh and might i add that in the state of FL they DON'T have to radar/laser you to ticket you for speeding. if they can measure the distance that you traveled in a given amount of time (obviously if you got there quicker than you should of, they'll ticket you) or if they are able to follow behind you at a rate higher than the speed limit then they can ticket you.</div>

Just a comment here, unless they get ya with an instrument, they can't ticket you unless they have licensed training to tell speed based on distance/time. (unless they stop watch ya over a set distance... which would be a really weird trap. Talking eyeballing speed here)

I've found most cops don't pull you over unless you are doing 10+ over. If they pull over for doing 5-9 over, they're just filling quota.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:22 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dweet @ Jun 28 2007, 04:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Actually jamming isnt that simple.. I'm a radar tech, there are ways you can prevent jamming its not as simple as saturating the RF receiver on the gun and if they are using a laser forget about it. I know how military technology works but I'm not 100% sure what cops have in their guns these days, I used to know. But I'm sure they have bandpass filters in them and probably some primitive anti-jamming measures such as varying the PRF of the radar or changing frequencies. But I'm sure there is something in the gun that does that automatically if it is sensing something because I dont think cops would be smart enough to understand what to do. And if there isnt yet... well I think I just figured out a way to make some money wink1.gif</div>

That's the whole point about phase shifting. You keep the signal going longer. There is only certain frequencies the cops are allowed to use for radar. The FCC regulates that. Once one element is finished with one signal, the next is already broadcasting. Even with the military technology you still cannot read from the angle you are being jammed. Those radars have actual processing units which take up a bit of space and freq hops when being jammed (now unclassified mang wink1.gif ) Radar guns are usually just a point and shoot thing.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:09 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zoned019 @ Jun 28 2007, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I don't believe in brand names when you're picking out stuff like this.

You should buy the cheapest thing you can find that:</div>

I personally disagree with that, If your buying the cheapest stuff its going to have the cheapest components with in the radar. The reciever portion is not going to be as good and so on.

But you shouldn't speed anyway wink1.gif
Old 06-29-2007, 11:27 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (landshark16 @ Jun 28 2007, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>If anyone considers going with a Cobra(Crapra). Dont do it! They have a real problem with leaking out to other radar detectors causing them to false.</div>

Crapra? That's the worst play on a name I've ever heard.

I got my $120 Cobra for $20 used from a friend, and it hasn't failed me yet. (Two years)

So w/e... show me tests, statistics, w/e- I don't care. But mine works wonderfully.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:39 AM

i kind of lucked into mine. the guy i bought my tib from hard wired it into the ignition harness so he said if i gave him an extra 20 bucks he'd leave it on there. i looked it up to try and find a manual for it and found out that it's a 300 dollar detector from cobra and i've been picking up cops from a mile plus away sometimes. it's fantastic.

As a sidenote, can anyone tell me what POP alerts and VG2 alerts are? i haven't been able to figure those two out yet.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:47 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

If I'm not mistaken, 99% of the time the VG2 alerts are like the automatic doors on supermarkets and such. Or maybe it's something new that I've never heard of. I thought the 3 major radar bands were X, K, and Ka. Never heard of POP.

Basically, one laser detector is the same as the others, unless there is something special. Meaning that my $90 cobra will detect laser/radar just as good as your $300 Whistler 900AXB200K v4 fancy thing. Unless someone can show me where the expensive one is better (does it have more range? if so, they don't advertise it!). So why pay doubled, or even tripled, the price for something. It's kind of like going to a mechanic, just because he charges more, or because it's a brand name, doesn't mean he's better. I can do the same oil change in my garage for $10, that he will charge me $30 for.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:34 PM

so how about this. one of you smart guys make a setup to prevent the cops from completely picking up your car's speed and make a group buy cuz im interested...
Old 06-30-2007, 12:42 AM

Vehicle: car

Rocky Mountain Radar with Jammer.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:20 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Elantra

Ohio actually does track people visually. Police helicopters fly above the interstates and time people between white hatches on the sides of the road. Then the helo tells the trooper who to nail.

Still, the more expensive detectors are measurably better than cheap ones. Maybe only by a few hundred feet at best. That few hundred feet is a couple seconds, enough time to slow down to a less-ticketable speed.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:00 PM

Ive used the Bel 955 and it was amazing. And they do make all kinds of stuff to make you "invisible" to cops but im not sure whether or not they actually work.