Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Radar Detectors

Old 06-27-2007, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

so Ive been doing some searching on radar detectors and laser jammers.

the valentine one is known for being really good.

the beltronics vector 995 also really good, it won a radar-contest from motor trend in 05

theres the passport 8500 x50, also pretty nice.

all you can get for about 200 - 300 dollars.

what about laser jammers. theres the blinder x-treme, for about 250 bux.

radar jammers are ilegal.

laser jammers are not.

so what you got ? what do you recommend ?
Old 06-27-2007, 09:59 PM

i got a Bel 955 (not the 995) it was voted the best detector under $200. well in fact it cost me exactly $200. radar jammers are a illegal and a scam none tested have ever worked. laser jammers are legit and are legal. the best source of information on this subject for me has been www.radarbusters.com
Old 06-27-2007, 10:04 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ that's a damn lie. Radar jammers work! I've worked on military radars when they were being jammed! It's just a matter of what frequency they are jamming and what frequency the cops are using.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:09 PM

no no no u miss understand me. in CARS. haha military stuff not included. all the radar jammers made for use in blocking law enforcement from obtaining your speed in a car are nothing more then a scam.
here we go, i found the link that kinda shows wat i mean: http://www.radarroy.com/archives/31
Old 06-27-2007, 11:23 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I currently run the brand new Whistler Pro 78. This radar is ALMOST comparable to the V1, X50, and Bel. But for about $150. NO LIE. If you dont believe me check out. Radardetectors.net and go to the Whistler sub-forum. Read the reviews. You will be suprised. Also whistlers customer service....A+.
If anyone considers going with a Cobra(Crapra). Dont do it! They have a real problem with leaking out to other radar detectors causing them to false.

If you look around ebay you can even get it cheaper!
Old 06-28-2007, 12:00 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bonis22 @ Jun 28 2007, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>no no no u miss understand me. in CARS. haha military stuff not included. all the radar jammers made for use in blocking law enforcement from obtaining your speed in a car are nothing more then a scam.
here we go, i found the link that kinda shows wat i mean: http://www.radarroy.com/archives/31</div>

Dude, there is no difference between car RAdio Detection And Ranging and military RAdio Detection And Ranging. It's a freakin' radar. If you send out a bunch of random bullshit, a radar cannot distinguish it's own signal from the jammer. It dosn't really matter what that artical says. They were probly jamming on the wrong frequency.

All you have to do to make a radar jammer inneffective is transmit radar signals on a different, non-jammed frequency. There's an infinite number of frequencies out there. The US army has an airplane that jams everything under the sun. Currently it is in iraq flying around with convoys to stop cell phones and other devices from remote detonating bombs.

I gaurantee you that if you were to put a signal generator, signal amplifier, bar of transmitters around the top of your car, middle of your car and bumper of your car, and constantly phase and frequency shifted the signal, not even the friggin' Star Trek Enterprise could pick you up on their sensors. And it could be disguised as trim. It dosn't need to be that elaborate though. One box under the car with a radiating element on the front will do just fine.

Oh, btw.. my cobra xrs 9500 has saved me many times, but it failed me last month.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:28 AM

Actually jamming isnt that simple.. I'm a radar tech, there are ways you can prevent jamming its not as simple as saturating the RF receiver on the gun and if they are using a laser forget about it. I know how military technology works but I'm not 100% sure what cops have in their guns these days, I used to know. But I'm sure they have bandpass filters in them and probably some primitive anti-jamming measures such as varying the PRF of the radar or changing frequencies. But I'm sure there is something in the gun that does that automatically if it is sensing something because I dont think cops would be smart enough to understand what to do. And if there isnt yet... well I think I just figured out a way to make some money wink1.gif
Old 06-28-2007, 11:38 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

I don't believe in brand names when you're picking out stuff like this.

You should buy the cheapest thing you can find that:
Detects all radar bands (K, X, Ka...I think those are the big 3??)
Detects laser (this is what will get you the tickets on the highway, because it's instant, and not detectable until he presses the trigger, I think about 90% of traps use lasers now anyway)
360º Detection (you want the thing to beep even if the cop is behind you)

Personally, I got a Cobra, because it had all the features of the others, and it was only $90.

Truthfully though, by the time you hear the beep, the cop already has your reading, so you're already screwed. The only way this can save you is if he targets someone ahead of you, then you have time to slow down before you get to him.

Having a detector still has its advantages though...It is nice to know when a cop is around, ever been followed by a cop late at night or something? If you've got a radar detector you can hear it beep, and that's when you know the b**** is looking for an excuse to pull you over. Also, if you do get pulled over its nice to know if he got a reading off of you or not, he may tell you he did, but if you didn't hear your detector go off, you know he's lying. Him not having proof in court (if you contest the ticket) will help your case.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:40 PM

I have the Passport 8500 x50 and it works perfectly for me.
i travel alot and its already saved me several times.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:30 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

i don't speed anymore, but when i did i used the whistler 1793 (i believe). i used to speed about 10 miles over limit, and for the most part (as long as they didn't "pop" me with the radar) it worked great! i did get a citation or 2 with it, but it's nearly insignificant to how many times it's saved me. i've picked up laser signals from when the cop was lasering in the general area so i was able to slow down before he got a direct hit on me.

there was one particular night where i was doing 10 over and they had lasered me. i did everything i could to slow down in time. they pulled me over and the cop came to the window and he was all sorts of pissed. he was like "you wanna tell me something!?!? when i clocked you you were doing 65 in a 55-... by the time i let go of the trigger you were doing 38!?!?!??? what gives?" i just smiled and pointed to the detector and he was like "damn!"

anyways before i quit speeding the beltronics rx-65 was going to be my next purchase. but honestly just quit speeding. it's not worth it.

oh and might i add that in the state of FL they DON'T have to radar/laser you to ticket you for speeding. if they can measure the distance that you traveled in a given amount of time (obviously if you got there quicker than you should of, they'll ticket you) or if they are able to follow behind you at a rate higher than the speed limit then they can ticket you.