Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Quick Acceleration?

Old 08-14-2006, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

My friend, you don't see the point. No one said to take out the stereo, that isn't THAT much of a deal. But chrome is so GAY these days, even on show cars. There are such better looking FORGED LIGHTWEIGHT rims out there with polished lips, whatever, that look fantastic and are light as hell. Dropping 110 pounds off of your rims and putting in a manual tranny would make you MORE than happy with the difference, and "a bit quicker off the line" is an understatement. A HELL of a lot quicker would be more like it.

If you don't care for it to go fast, you are passing up on the easiest and CHEAPEST ways to make your car faster, which is what this thread is about right? Many a member here had their "ricer gotta have chrome wheels" phase and they got out of it. It's not a jab at you my man, but 30 to 35 pound rims compared to 13 pound rims is a HUGE difference. I've put a TON of money into my car now, some for looks, some for performance, and I still tell everyone to this day, that the best modification I've done are my 16 inch Konig Traffiks, that weigh 13 pounds each. Next would be my spring/strut combo, then my audiobahn speakers.

Those are the top 3 for me. I've done the pulleys, and it's a huge difference when combined with others. Pulleys aren't too expensive, and are easy to replace, not to mention SHOW CARS GET LOTS OF POINTS for aftermarket parts in the PERFORMANCE area too. Most reputable shows award the most well rounded cars, the ones that look hot as shit, and have the bite to back it up.

You started this thread wanting to know how to get your accleration up. You've been given a few methods of doing so. If you aren't even going to look at them or consider them, then there's really no point at all here.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:16 AM
Banned

ok, you make a post.. asking for acceleration.. but then say it dont matter how fast it is.. i dont get it, lol..

what exhaust sytem you have? OBX special?

get new plugs, and some PRD wires..

swap in a manual.. ull like it.. get ark shifter and shifter bushings.

get rid of the hideous chrome, heavy rims.. even if you dont go lightweight, get some that are like 10 lbs lighter.. ull notice the difference..

get some pulleys, and a fidanza flywheel after ur trans swap.

throw a 35-50 shot of wet nitrous in there.. thats cheap..

i know your at the whole 'show car' point, but youll get a lot more respect, and like your car alot better when you have some, doesnt have to be ALOT of performance mods to back it up..

seriously, for about 1000 you would have a noticable difference, and youll probably like it alot, in the gains you can get..

sell those rims to some ricer, they would appreciate em, ull make like 2000 of that bling yO, buy a set of gram light 57 series.. ull drop down ur weight ALOT, get a set of pulleys, and manual swap. ull love it..

i dont understand, you come in here.. ask how to make it 'gitty up' faster, and shoot down the easiest ways to make it go? wtf mate?
Old 08-14-2006, 08:44 AM

Good points. Don't forget, SHOW cars are about name brands bro. So like SOXS here said, get some Gram Lights, they look great, are VERY light, and will score way more points than some gaudy 70's pimp rims.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:43 AM

Location: York. About 2hrs from Philly and 4 hours from Pittsburgh

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Aug 14 2006, 09:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Dropping 110 pounds off of your rims and putting in a manual tranny would make you MORE than happy with the difference, and "a bit quicker off the line" is an understatement. A HELL of a lot quicker would be more like it.</div>

Go for manual. I test drove an automatic tib before I got my manual tib and lets just say that my previous car, which was a Ford Taurus (haha), would have trashed the automatic tib. Seriously, it will be worth it.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:30 AM

I'm not saying that I'm against adding the things to my car. I just don't want to change the appearence at all! I have won 1st pace a Hot Import Nights in the HOTTEST IMPORT OTHER WILD CLASS... like a 4 foot tall trophy! Then I've pulled off 1st in Other class at NOPI, 3rd overall last year at Import Truck Bash in Indy... I like getting these trophies and getting the respect from others for all of the work put into it all ready. I know you guys don't like the "CHROMIES" yO & think they are "GAY" but I do like them and I haven't been to a show yet where a judge told me that he would rather see some forged wheels on it. (all though I have looked at getting the Carbon Fiber rims) SO PLEASE QUIT DISSIN' ON THE WHEELS, yO! I just wanted to be able to ADD some things to my car to make it go just a bit faster... maybe add like 20hp or so. Nothing big! No transmission swap, No Nitous... nothing like that! You guyz kinda need to level with me... this is a SHOW CAR!!! It's made to LOOK good, not go fast!!! My wife has tibby that I can make go fast if I feel I want to do that at a later time, but as of right now I DONT WANT IT TO BE A RACE CAR! I get it now... add some pulleys, maybe swap the cam gears, and try the 1.8L cams & a different throttle body and it should make a slightly noticeable difference off the start. and for your continued thought on the plugs and plug wires, I have plugs and plug wires and an AEM CAI and some chrome 4-2-1 OBX headers that actually made a noticeable difference and I had a local shop make my exhaust from the headers back and it has a hig flow muffler. I don't mean to sound like a D*** but I'm just lookin for some help without changing the appearence of my car and I keep getting these post "If I would have searched" and I'm sorry that I'm new to the forum thing... maybe I should have never started this thing.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:53 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

what do preformance and looks have to do with each other? i know that people around here are dicks when it comes to what they think is rice, but f*** them and do what makes you happy. because in the end man, your the one winning trophys not the haters who are busy shit talkin your hard work.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:37 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Suicide Door Tibby @ Aug 15 2006, 05:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'm not saying that I'm against adding the things to my car. I just don't want to change the appearence at all! I have won 1st pace a Hot Import Nights in the HOTTEST IMPORT OTHER WILD CLASS... like a 4 foot tall trophy! Then I've pulled off 1st in Other class at NOPI, 3rd overall last year at Import Truck Bash in Indy... I like getting these trophies and getting the respect from others for all of the work put into it all ready.</div>

The thing is, pulling off 1st in a Hyundai class, or a Other class doesn't take much. Since there usually aren't enough cars to even FILL the class totally, you go home with a trophy. I'm not making fun, but I've been there. You are asking for our advise, but not taking it. In particular, YES, I hate your rims. Chrome rims in general are just silly because you take a otherwise decent looking and performing rim and add a 20 pound frigging mirror to it.

And wow, you placed 3rd at a Import TRUCK SHOW. LMAO, who gives a rats ass? You get the respect because you showed, but you won't at this site because you are asking for advise and not listening to the correct answers. This isn't a Honda forum where we'll tell you to "Slap some nawz in it and don't blow your intake welds", we lead you the right way. To add 20whp to a automatic show car, that's about all you are going to do, is ad some nitrous. Your engine is mostly stock, and having some REAL work to it would get you even more show points. But you refuse. The respect you get from others is because your car looks alright, and they rarely see any Tiburons that are done up. Again, you won't get it here because guess what? WE SEE THEM ALL THE FRIGGING TIME, and yours is just OK, as I said. The pimped rims, ugly ass carpet, and way overdone/overplayed bodykit, are just worn out. You are new here and don't understand this.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I know you guys don't like the "CHROMIES" yO & think they are "GAY" but I do like them and I haven't been to a show yet where a judge told me that he would rather see some forged wheels on it. (all though I have looked at getting the Carbon Fiber rims) SO PLEASE QUIT DISSIN' ON THE WHEELS, yO!</div>

No, we won't. Chrome rims ARE gay. They are gay because they weigh so much, get damaged so easily, and have no practical purpose. Most members here are into making a car look good that MOVES good. Yours looks OK, and moves like a horse's corpse, but you won't do anything to make it faster? Remove the fugly and heavy chrome rims and put on some lighter ones that look fantastic. The average everyday tuner will be much more impressed, and so will judges. Sorry man, it's a fact, most every day REAL tuners laugh at show cars, because there is no practicality to it. There was a 550,000 dollar H2 at the last show I went to, it got all sorts of press, and the kids loved it, but everyone else laughed at it and walked past. Why? It was RETARDED.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I just wanted to be able to ADD some things to my car to make it go just a bit faster... maybe add like 20hp or so. Nothing big! No transmission swap, No Nitous... nothing like that! You guyz kinda need to level with me... this is a SHOW CAR!!! It's made to LOOK good, not go fast!!!</div>

And with that I will close this thread. It's going nowhere. We gave you the easiest and cheapest ways to get your car moving faster than a Big Wheel, and you rejected it. You have the remaining option of Nitrous and you rejected that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>My wife has tibby that I can make go fast if I feel I want to do that at a later time, but as of right now I DONT WANT IT TO BE A RACE CAR!</div>

No one said you wanted it to. Grow up and realize you have to put a bit of work into the engine too to get it to run better. Mine isn't a "RACE CAR", I don't race it at all, but I've done more to the engine than looks, if not the same amount, and I'm happier with it than anything I've ever driven. You, on the other hand, aren't happy. Hence this thread.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I get it now... add some pulleys, maybe swap the cam gears, and try the 1.8L cams & a different throttle body and it should make a slightly noticeable difference off the start. and for your continued thought on the plugs and plug wires, I have plugs and plug wires and an AEM CAI and some chrome 4-2-1 OBX headers that actually made a noticeable difference and I had a local shop make my exhaust from the headers back and it has a hig flow muffler.</div>

Yeah, do all of that and you'll get about 6 HP. That's it. The TB isn't going to make a difference if you don't do something to your IM. You aren't willing to put new parts in it (like the airram, which is a big show pleaser).

Great, you have plugs and wires. You haven't said what kind, so you may have some that don't help your performance or even hurt it some. Lots of newbs do that. You haven't told us anything about your exhaust, but since you seem to be cheap and want the easy way out, I'd assume it's a 2 inch catback with the OEM cat on it and crushed bends. Bad for performance.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I don't mean to sound like a D*** but I'm just lookin for some help without changing the appearence of my car and I keep getting these post "If I would have searched" and I'm sorry that I'm new to the forum thing... maybe I should have never started this thing.</div>

Well, you DO need to search.

Thread closed. Don't open another one on this till you learn some.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (optimoprime @ Aug 15 2006, 07:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>what do preformance and looks have to do with each other? i know that people around here are dicks when it comes to what they think is rice, but f*** them and do what makes you happy. because in the end man, your the one winning trophys not the haters who are busy shit talkin your hard work.</div>

PERformance and looks have LOTS to do with eachother you moron. No one is being a dick to him, everyone here answered his questions but he doesn't like the answers.

To prove me right, Java, Viper, and Majik can all point out the girl we met at nopi nats last year with the stock RD2, the yellow one. She entered it into the show. Didn't win anything and was depressed about it. She had about 12 first place trophies because she was the only Hyundai to enter into these shows. ANYONE can win at a show, just SHOW THE HELL UP and enter your car into it.

It is EASY, very easy to make a hell of a show car that can get up and move too, and that's the folks that earn the real respect. Not someone that watches a Fast and Furious marathon and goes out to buy rims at Sears.

You need to grow up too, and realize who you are talking to, about, and find out what our community is ABOUT. Rice IS in the eyes of the beholder, but chrome can be overcome by anyone.

As a quick final note, I can prove to you what your car can and can't win.

Enter your car in the Car of the Month contest here.