Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Questions About Heater And Fuel Gauge

Old 12-03-2008, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

First: today on my way to school i cranked the heat up cold i was cold as hell. After about 5 minutes i start to feel cold air come out, i got pissed cause i wasnt warm enough yet haha. I turned all the a/c knobs off for a minute then back on, and everything was fine. This is the second time it has happened to me and i wanted to know if there was some way to make sure it didn't happen again, since its December and it only gets colder. Awhile ago I noticed a ticking sound coming from the a/c blower under the passenger air bag, i hit it and it stopped, then a few days later it started up again. If you have any input please help me out.

Second: I was just wondering how long it takes for the gas gauge to usually go to ''full" when you fill it, mine seems to take for-ev-er (those who ever watched sandlot will get it). I filled my tank today and it took it a while to get to 3/4 a tank then it took even longer to get it up to full, is this normal?

thanks
Old 12-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The heater can't blow hot if all you have is cold engine coolant. It must be cold as a witche's t*ts in your car if it cools the engine off, heating the cabin! When is the last time you changed your coolant?

The ticking in the blower is sometimes leaves that get caught in there. If it increases in frequency when you turn up the fan, it is likely a leaf. Turn it up as fast as it will go and give a couple of knocks. It will either dislodge, cut, or break the leaf/twig/whatever, and make it shut up. Or it's a bearing about to asplode laugh.gif

The gas gauge takes forever to move. Minutes, even. Hyundai went just a hair too far in that direction. The other end of the spectrum is a gauge that goes up and down when you are driving in hilly terrain (which I prefer, but it might scare some sheeple).
Old 12-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

my fuel gauge is pretty instantaneous
Old 12-03-2008, 03:19 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Mine goes up to about 2/3 within 30 seconds, then full within about a minute or 2.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

majik, if you go up and down a bunch of small hills, does the gas gauge go up/down with the terrain?

I don't know how long mine takes to indicate full. I stopped looking a long time ago because it takes longer to go all the way to F than I take to drive off. That's why I get surprised by a pump that won't fill the tank... I find out about it the next time I turn the car on and look at the gauge! I just reset the trip odometer and go.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Generally, no, it does not. It gets fulled and is pretty stiff, it doesn't have a lot of play in it or bounce depending on terrain, and we have a lot of hills in Tennessee
Old 12-03-2008, 06:39 PM

A loud popping noise inside the dash may be a cracked blend door. I'm not too familiar with Hyundai HVAC units, since I never had to service mine, but on alot of cars the blend door can crack right where the servo drives it, making a click. That can also explain why it blows cold, if the blend door is not allowing hot air off the heater core to enter the car. If I'm right about this, I think my 99 Tiburon had a blend door directly driven by the knob by mechanical linkages of some sort, so this might be irrelevant.

The gas gauge is supposed to do that like they said. There's a circuit across the gauge that limits excessive movement for things like bumpy roads, steep angles, and even stopping/accelerating. My old cavalier would actually indicate 1/2 tank when it was actually empty, but only if I stopped really hard.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:22 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

alright thanks a lot guys, i will check my coolant level and all that good stuff, and the gas gauge question i was just wondering because other vehicles when i see them get filled the needle jumps up as soon as they start the car. Thanks again
Old 12-04-2008, 01:30 AM

A failing thermostat could cause this as well. Either by not allowing the coolant to circulate so it never warms up or by letting the coolant never warm up by staying open.