Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Questions About Engine Head And Timing

Old 12-19-2008, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok before i can ask about the timing, my dad and i were wondering if you can take the engine head off, without taking the whole engine out. i think thats kind a n00b question but my dad only could look at it for a minute cause he had to go plow some driveways.

The timing question, while looking at the engine, my dad was looking at the timing belt and was wondering about the timing markings on the timing belt pulley and on the head. He wanted to know how the markings are supposed to be so if we do take the head off it will line up again when we put it back on.

Thanks and heres a few pictures

Thats a normal head bolt.

Even before my dad looked at the engine, i knew this wasn't right.

Broken head bolt

Old 12-19-2008, 05:23 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

the timing marks are around here somewhere, off the top of my head it was like 5 links inbetween the two marks, something like that

what are you talking about? that head bolt looks fine to me nana.gif that might be a problem
Old 12-19-2008, 10:47 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

What happened to that head bolt!?

As far as I know, yes you can take the head off without pulling out the block.

As for timing, I am unaware of any marks on the actual timing belt, but you can take a marker and draw lines on 3 or 4 points on the belt and the cam-pulley so you can like it back up.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:24 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Washing out your internals? I thought you checked the oil and it was clean? That my friend looks like what I like to call a beta 1 milkshake delight. Serve it with a cinnamon stick and a light dab of sugar powder, and its delicious.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I made this just for you (and everyone else who needs to set their timing):

Timing DIY Link!

. . . and BTW your oil really does look nasty. That chocolate shake color in engine oil is a good indication of Strong Bad engine problems.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

And just to confirm, yes you can remove the head without removing the engine. I removed mine before I pulled my block and I would recommend leaving the intake manifold attached, just remove the throttle body. You'll also have to remove the exhaust manifold, and a bunch of sensors. Everything else is pretty straight forward, except for some bolts that secure a bracket which supports the intake manifold. If you get under the car with a flashlight and follow the intake manifold, you'll see some supports, and these supports are attached to the block. Take those out and you're good to go.

Remember to drain your coolant, which I'm sure you've already done considering the condition of your oil. Get a bunch of rags ready too because when you pull the head off there will probably be a mess of coolant, unless it all drained through your leak.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:47 AM

Told ya the engine was FUBAR! I wasn't kidding lol