Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Question About Exhaust Hangers

Old 05-22-2006, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i used i think 3 out of the 4 blue ones. there were some other hangars that were different size that i think i might have left the stock ones in for. worst comes to worst, get the blue ones. its a bunch easier to drill out some room then try to fill in gaps. you cant see them at all unless you have your head under the car anyway.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:23 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Do you have one on the muffler itself? Most people don't, because they don't come with hangars when you go aftermarket usually, even though OEM ones have a hangar mounted on top. Actually I believe the stock muffler had two.

Putting a hangar on top of the muffler would reduce the strain on the piping that goes above the axle, and keep the weight off it. That would solve the problem, if that is the problem. Mufflers weigh a good bit, and its going to pull the piping down if its not supported.

I had the same problem. It may not be vibrating on the suspension at all. Mine was vibrating on the spare tire well, I didn't see how close the muffler came to that area until I really looked at it. If you have a can muffler its probably nowhere near it, but the design of the Flowmaster puts it near close contact with it.

What I did was put a hangar around the exit of the muffler, and hang it from a hole near the bumper. Eliminated my problem mostly, even though my muffler is maybe 1/5 of an inch from the spare tire well, and 1/5 of an inch from the suspension. Have no vibration at all, simply because having a hangar there lets it have no play.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:39 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Yes, it has one on the muffler. I think the MBRP is different than you guys'.

Anyway, got them today and it turns out I needed the red ones..lol. And tibby01 how did you have 3? There's one above the rear axel and one on the muffler (same as OEM) for me.. I realized there are two different types of hangers, one which has the "H" pattern in the middle, and one which just has a rectangle in the middle, BOTH of mine were the bigger rectangle one, and the ones I ordered were the "H" ones. But smaller is better for me, I want this thing to be tight. I'll drill and bore the holes out then get a bunch of grease and hopefully am able to get them on. I'll update this later and let you all know how it turns out..and just my luck, I just go outside and take this stuff off and now it starts raining. damn.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:20 PM

LOL why didn't you measure? Surely you own a pair of calipers? You can get a cheap one for a few bucks at any hardware store. My digital calipers get more use than any other tool, except perhaps my multimeter.

I'm going to get these hangers myself, as my stock ones are cracked and drooping, and allow for considerable play, although I have no rattling. I also want to redo part of my exhaust, I'm not happy about the section over the axle, which looks cobbled together and very angular. I supplied mandrel bent piping and it wasn't utilized very well. And I'd like to add a flange to be able to remove that section should I ever want to as well.

And all the welds are rusting like mad. I guess I should paint everything.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:02 AM

OMFG I just typed a whole page and accidentally hit the "BACK" button on my mouse (just had to make things worse didn't you b***h?)............well let's just say I'm NOT happy with these damn mounts. I'll make a post tomorrow. I'm tired and pissed.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:24 AM

The actual eBay action says Fits all muffler hangers (Hole measures at 8mm) so its the hole that is 8mm...
Old 05-29-2006, 10:37 AM

Yeah, fits ALL 8mm muffler hangers. LOL.

Anyway, if you've ever put mounts on you'll know that it's kind of tough to get them over the hangers, because the hangers are usually larger at the end, that's why they are made of rubber, so they'll flex. Try flexing hard plastic...not gonna work.
I started with the hanger above the axel. The way they are positioned, you have to unbolt the axel back of the exhaust and basically remove it in order to get the mount on, because once again the plastic mounts don't flex at all (I suppose that is the purpose of them though, so why am I b****ing about it? lol). Well I didn't feel like jacking the car up and unbolting 1/3 of my exhaust just for this damn mount (plus I didn't think putting the one over the axel would help anyway) so I decided to just set that one aside, as I thought my problem was mostly due to the muffler banging the bumper. So, I set one mount aside and began trying to get the other mount on the muffler hangers. The OEM muffler hanger is larger than the OEM axel hanger and the ones on the exhaust, so I drilled out one hole on the mount just a little bit bigger so I could get it over the hanger and still have it be tight. I knew it was going to be difficult to get the mount over the OEM muffler hanger because as I said its bigger. Anyway, an assload of grease and just pushing it as hard as I could I got one of them on the OEM hanger. Then realized that I had to put it on the muffler FIRST and THEN on the OEM hanger because of the way it was situated. Now the thing about the lip on the end of the hanger I mentioned earlier is that when it's going ON it's tapered, so it's much easier to get the hanger on. Then when you want to take it off there's just a big fat lip, no taper. So, what are you going to do, if it was rubber you could flex it and force it over the hole, but this plastic is hard as hell, there's no flex about it, and you're certainly not going to get the whole over that big lip, basically, once its on its on. Well for me, I had it on the OEM hanger, but NO way of attaching it to the muffler, since I put it on the OEM hanger first and screwed up. So I was forced to cut through and waste the $9 part. Started dremeling and of course the plastic got really hot and started to melt, I was just about finished getting through it and the melted plastic dripped onto my hand causing a ginormous burn which blistered instantly, causing me to drop the dremel and break the bit, and those are kind of expensive too, about $6 for a 3 pack. Well, I still had one left and I thought my problem was 100% related to the muffler banging the bumper, so I put the rubber OEM mount back on the axel hanger, and proceeded to REDO my plastic muffler mount. Drilled the hole bigger, and this time stuck it on the muffler, THEN the OEM hanger. Worked great, the muffler was real stiff and would no longer put any more burn holes in my bumper from being too big. So I thought the problem was solved, I had to waste one of the mounts by cutting through it, but as long as it fixed my problem I would have been happy, even if it did take me a whole day of drilling, redrilling, getting burned, rained on randomly (wisconsin weather is weird, the sun will be out one minute and about 30 seconds later it will seriously just downpour HARD for about 10 minutes straight, then the sun comes back out...like wtf), and just severly annoyed, I didn't think putting two exhaust mounts on would be such an ordeal. After all was said and done, I realized that I had reduced vibration a little bit (by stiffening the muffler hanger), but the exhaust has actually been hitting the rear axel. I think today I'm going to just jack it up and maybe I can rotate it a little bit so it won't, it's really close and just barely touching it..oh well, I was really hoping this would fix my problem. My honest opinion with these mounts is that if you buy them replace your WHOLE exhaust system with them, now when I shut my car off you can actually FEEL the vibration pretty strongly, it will start by the flex and go all the way down, then when it hits the muffler it just stops instantly, sorta sounds/feels like the car is struggling to stay running like you choked it, but it's off and the gauges read 0, so I know that its definitely the vibration of the exhaust. I'm thinking of either buying another pack of these (that would be $40 to on f***ing exhaust mounts..) and finishing the job the right way, or if I can just rotate it enough then I'll just put rubber ones back on. Also, if you plan on getting these do it when you are installing a new exhaust, or whenever you have the exhaust off the car, because it's really not as easy as it would seem. Just imagine putting on rubber mounts, but you aren't allowed to stretch them at all. And make sure you have lots of grease. Really, unless you have a problem with rubber, I wouldn't even buy these. It was a frustrating day..and this blister looks like a friggin huge ass wart on my hand. lol.

Another story...

While I had the dremel out I decided to unbolt my BBTB and dremel the butterfly to stop the sticking. Well, come to find out that the idle adjustment screw was broke on the one I had, and the only thing to stop the pulley from swinging all the way around and basically almost undoing itself was the fact that the butterfly would stick. Well, I had the idle adjustment screw, but I didn't think Kwik JB Weld would hold it on that weird type of steel or white metal or whatever it is (I THOUGHT it was steel, but after looking at the inside of the piece that was broke when I got the box I see it's a softer metal). Anyway, it would have been nice to have a gas welder, but I didn't have access to that so I made my own self tapping screw, and drill an angled small hole through the piece and through the BBTB. Then I used the JB weld, you guys think that will hold it? I really wouldn't want to let off the gas one day, have that thing snap, the pulley come undone and my car would rev. There's not THAT much tension on that pulley is there? I did pretty solid work, the JB weld is tough and that screw is seated well, so I hope that all works out. I also drilled a small divot in for my cruise control, I didn't want to but after doing it I realize it's really not hurting anything and isn't a big deal, plus it fits perfectly. It's nice being able to drive now knowing I can use cruise whenever I want, and not have to kick my gas pedal everytime I'm at a red light because the butterfly was slammed shut. It's actually gonna take a little getting used to, lol, put less tension in the pedal and feels weird to drive now. fing02.gif
Old 05-30-2006, 08:25 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Meh, sounds fun with the hangars. tongue.gif
Old 05-30-2006, 01:22 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

ill grab a picture for you when im under the car soon. oil change is getting close.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:52 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zoned019 @ May 29 2006, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Started dremeling and of course the plastic got really hot and started to melt, I was just about finished getting through it and the melted plastic dripped onto my hand causing a ginormous burn which blistered instantly, causing me to drop the dremel and break the bit, and those are kind of expensive too, about $6 for a 3 pack.</div>

I'm sorry, but this had me haha.gif lmao.gif

I've had plenty of experiences like that myself though.

Maybe I'll pass on those mounts after all. At least until I see someone that gets ones that are an easy swap. I have had to struggle with my current rubber ones as it is.

Did you strip the original hole for your idle screw? I probably would have drilled that hole larger, and then threaded it with a tap, and used a bigger screw. Either that or buy a helicoil/timesert.