Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Question About Cai.

Old 05-06-2005, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, there are a few topics about CAI, but I want to ask here, and I want to you say that you think about my idea. Maybe in some topic someone says about this, but ....

I was thinkg about put a hose instead an AEM CAI, I´m short of money, that´s why, I saw that a few here has made their own CAI with differents ways.

and I thought about a hose or some stainless steel of exahust. someone said, that this last is not going to be a good idea, beacause the heat and I dont remember more, but If I coated with thermotec ( which BTW I recently bought ) i thought that maybe it will work fine, maybe with more weight than the original, but....

about the hose, i´ve been thinking about this .. but I dont know, i have a hose but is the kind of universal hoses, this kind of hose you can put it in the way you want with no problem at all, but the speed of the air is maybe going to slow down a little bit.

what do you think about this?
Old 05-06-2005, 12:41 PM

I think you are better off saving your time and effort and buying a CAI on ebay (won't cost more than $50). It just seems foolish to me to buy a really nice car and then ghetto rig it in hopes of performance. I can see it now..."Cool car man, it seems faster." "Thanks, it's because of the hose under the hood."
Old 05-06-2005, 01:10 PM

lol... kinda right..

but the stainless steel of exhaust? i dont know if this is how it writes.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:31 PM

Yes, save your time and effort and just get a $50 CAI from Ebay
The HOSE, I'm guessing is going to be rubber, which is going to get HOT REAL quick

Stainless steel Exhaust piping will work but you'll have to spend time measuring, cutting and fabricating something, when all said and done, the money AND time you spent on that, $50 would of gotten you something shiney on Ebay
Old 05-06-2005, 02:35 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

And if you still want to go ghetto and spend less than $50 you could use PVC plumbing. Seen it done before. Ghetto, but it worked.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:42 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

From what material AEM CAI pipe is made?

It's possible to buy same pipes and bend them the way you want.

And I can wrap the pipe with aluminium heat shield.
(can I use plastic tube wraped in that shield?)
Old 05-06-2005, 02:44 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

The AEM is made from Aluminum piping, it's powdercoated.

The thing is, any heatshields or anything else just end out causing restrictions if they are around the filter, or just act as an oven if they are elsewhere.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:03 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

I mean wrap only pipe like OdessitPashka did.
And filter put in a bumper.

What about plastic (I think it's called PVC pipes) wraped in aluminium heatshield? They are cheap and very easy to cut/mount.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:05 PM

sharkev

I'm guessing english isn't your primary language?
I'm not making fun of you if so. But if english IS Your primary language, you need to spend more time writing/composing what you are trying to say.
If English isn't your primary language, I'll cope.

Stainless steel exhaust piping will work just fine for a Intake.
Since Steel is more dense than Aluminum, the Intake will absorb heat slower than Aluminum (advantage Steel)
Steel also does not transfer heat as well as aluminum (advantage Steel in this application)
The only 'disadvantage" to Stainless steel is COST and WEIGHT, and possibly rust if the stainless steel isn't VERY high quality.

All that being said....If you can afford true Stainless steel piping, you can sure afford a $50 ebay intake.

If you are not from the USA, and shipping the intake is cost prohibitive, then by all means, make your own out of what you have available.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:05 PM

Do a search for "random special cai"