Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Purpose Of These (on The Side Mounts)

Old 05-16-2005, 09:32 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, no more poop jokes, hehe. I'm not sure if you have a sunroof or not, but I will tell you that DAMN those things are heavy.

Here's some more news on weight reduction. If you are looking to shave some serious lbs. look into a carbon fiber hood, and hatch combo. The OEM hood weighs somewhere around 50 lbs. where a cf one is usually about 12-15lbs. The hatch, man who knows, but I'm going to sell as many or as few as people want, the more peeps the better prices we get. Full CF hatches with sealed lexan and black rivets holding it down. I dont recommend this for someone not willing to deal with extra noise, but for anyone who's ever lifted our hatch without the help of dampers, man, you'll know how ungodly heavy it is.

I estimate the new one to weigh somewhere around 25 lbs.

That combo may just save you 100 lbs. I could be wrong, but I know we'll have our numbers soon enough, and my new manufacturer has already taken a look at my hatch and told me it was doable, and without the need for a hefty 7 or 800 dollar price tag.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Wow, I knew the glove box cover was heavy, but I didn't realize it was from a plate that's inside. I'm pulling it out. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:24 AM

I am up to about 200lbs of stuff removed lol.

The only things left are :

2 seats and 2 seat belts
Dash
Door panels
Half of center console

No more :

Spare
Jack
Interior panelling
Rear seats
Rear seat belts
Carpets/insulation
Roof cover
Radio
Speakers
Lightweight driver seat (15lbs)
A few pounds in the engine bay (flywheel, UDP, manifold (int and ext), lighter clutch)
I will be removing the tar on the floors soon (30-40lbs alone)

Weigth reduction is free hp....If i had to choose between 7whp increase or a 200lbs weight reduction, I would take the weight reduction. Less weight to accelerate, stop and to handle in corners.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:44 PM

Just take an angle grinder to that drivers side mount to cut the weight off. It's much easier to do OUTSIDE the engine compartment, but if you're careful, you might be able to do it mounted.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:10 PM

Thanks guys.

I am going to chop it off.

You better belive that if there was a carbon fiber hood made for 99-00 Elantras, I would own one. I am a CF junkie