Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Purpose Of These (on The Side Mounts)

Old 05-14-2005, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too removed that heavy panel from my glove compartment door. It's not just there for 'weight' in the door, it's real purpose is to prevent the passenger's knees from going through the glovebox.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:02 PM

I know, All my passenger wear seat belts and I couldn't see their knees getting that close. Even if they did, it would snap the plastic instead of breaking their knee caps

Random, did you take out the driver side mount dampener? if yes, How
Old 05-14-2005, 10:54 PM

seriously if your worried about 5lbs there is somethign wrong with you...100lbs makes a difference, not 5. just leave them on. take out your back seat. all the flooring...run 2 front setas on the metal floor. if you want to loose wieght do that. dont' take off that little dampner if you want to lose wieght on your car. that's stupid.

but that is just my opinion.

if your gonna you want to lose wieght, strip it.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:12 PM

I don't want to strip my car......That is stupid. I need to drive my car with people in it. I want to loose unnecessary things that weigh a lot. If you looked at the pic and read it, you would have seen that I removed a lot more than just the dampener and the topic was to find out what it was not opinions on striping cars chief....
Old 05-15-2005, 12:00 AM

I'm 6'1" and my knees are less than 3" from the dash, even with the seat all the way back. I have several friends over 6'5". They're knees TOUCH the dash, even with the seat all the way back.

Dude, watch a video of a head on colision. Watch what happens to the dummies legs, even when they are belted. The dash moves back, and the passenger/driver's knees move forward quite a bit.

I'm not saying anything bad is GOING to happen, I'm just warning you of the potential consequences. I just want you to make an informed decision. Like I said before, I did remove mine.

Hey guys, if you don't want to take the weights off your car, don't. But don't bag on him for doing a mod. If you feel it's worthless, fine, then it's not worth commenting about is it?
Old 05-15-2005, 01:10 AM

Weight reduction is your friend smile.gif

take it off man!

Please cut off on OT bullsh*t.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:55 AM

Random and OP are right.. any more Off Topic BS and points get issued. Sorry to be heavy handed, but it was in the starting stages of getting out of hand.

I think the best way to remove the driver's side might be to pull the mount and grind it off and then reinstall the mount.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:58 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Like everyone said, I doubt removing it is going to make too much of a difference. Probably just there to keep old ladies buying the car because the little extra vibration would've made them not want a Hyundai. I would just grind the left one off.

As for what everyone else said, yes 100 pounds of weight does help... but you can't remove 100 pounds at a time. You need to take off 10 pounds one day, find something else not useful another day and take off another 15 pounds, etc.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the help guys.

Sorry, I was trying to stay on topic, but I had to explain why I want to take it off. I just wanted to know what they were and if I could remove them. Not to start a discussion on weight reduction.

Well, I took the one off and it has shown no adverse effects as of yet. I will be cutting the other one off soon. It seems to be a solid piece of metal welded to the mount.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:29 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blacktibs @ May 14 2005, 07:25 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Try a good enima to clear out those dirty bowels man, then take a nice big dump and you'll probably save more weight doing that than pulling the little guys off the mounts.
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>

LOL

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cbehage @ May 14 2005, 07:47 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I lost about 75 pounds from my car so far,

I don't think I have that much compacted feces in my bowel.

LMAO

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Random @ May 14 2005, 08:16 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I dunno about you, but I've never taken a 5lb crap in my LIFE!(no way a 10 pound crap!) lol.gif <div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>

ROTFLMAO

I once took a 145 pound dump. It was the day I banned SPIKE from the site.

:unsure: wink1.gif B)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Random @ May 14 2005, 09:27 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I too removed that heavy panel from my glove compartment door. It's not just there for 'weight' in the door, it's real purpose is to prevent the passenger's knees from going through the glovebox.

Yeah, I've got mine sitting here, it's a heavy little bastard.

Just remember Cbhage, if you want to lose the weight for a run down the track, take out your spare, your jack and stuff, hubcaps, your extra seats, hell, take off the passenger door and your hatch/trunk if the track will let you. I've seen them do it here at the racetrack. Easy way to lose 100 to 200 pounds of car.