Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Purge Contol Valve

Old 04-20-2010, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just curious as to if anyone has had a faulty purge control valve. And if so, what kind of symptoms did you experience? I just replaced mine today, and hoping the CE light doesn't come back on. The code was P0440, and when I fill up my tank my car will not start on the first try but always on the 2nd. But ONLY after I fill up. I got put a couple gallons in a it would start right up. My car also had alot of vibration when sitting idle at red lights and such. The steering wheel vibrated the most.

I also, notice that when I push the clutch in, my RPM's go down to 2,000 and bobble around there a little until I am COMPLETLY stopped, then RPMS go down to around 1000 or so. Which I feel is unrelated to the purge control valve. I think maybe the throttle body and idle air control valve need cleaned. Thoughts??

I just bought the 01 tiburon about a month ago, and never really was into cars. But I love this car, and it has peeked my interest.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:07 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ive had two go out on me that caused multiple CELs. One on a 2000 Tib, and one on the 99 I had.

If you can blow through it both ways, its bad
Old 04-20-2010, 04:16 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

I think you are confusing the Positive Crankcase Ventiliation (PCV) valve with the Purge Control Solenoid Valve (PCSV).

The Op had it right, P0440 is EVAP System No Flow During Purge

Under normal engine operation (normal operating temperatures) the ECM will open the PCSV to allow hydrocarbon fuel vapors to escape the gas tank (through the EVAP canister) into the intake manifold. When the engine is off or at idle, the ECM will close the PCSV to block hydrocarbon fuel vapors in the canister from entering the intake manifold.

The following is the recommended checking procedures for code P0440
Charcoal canister is loaded with fuel or moisture
Fuel filler cap is loose, cross-threaded, damaged or wrong part
Fuel tank, fuel filler neck or fuel sending unit 'O' ring is leaking
Fuel tank pressure sensor is damaged, disconnected or it failed
Fuel tank vapor line(s) is clogged, damaged or disconnected
Purge valve vapor line is clogged, damaged, or disconnected
Purge or vent solenoid power circuit is open (check the fuse)
PCM has failed

If you are experiencing rpm spikes when the clutch is disengaged (at idle), then it is a safe assumption that the PCSV is allowing fuel vapors into the intake manifold causing a short burst in rpms..
Old 04-20-2010, 05:41 PM

Hmmm..that would make sense with the fuel vapors leaking into the intake manifold while idling. However, would air need to be pushing those vapors into the intake manifold? Is in not just vapors that flow through the house and PCV, but air too? Sorry, if I sound bit uneducated....but in reality when it comes to cars I am. So far I've went about 40 miles with no CEL coming back on. So I don't feel out of the woods yet.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Please use the Fast Reply or Add Reply buttons to respond to the last post in a thread, instead of Quoting the whole thing.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:46 PM

Well I think I am officially out of the woods. The CEL hasn't come back on. I am still experiencing my RPM's not coming down passed 2000 until I am COMPLETELY stopped and sometimes a nasty vibration when idling (running the heater makes it worse). I am running a can of seafoam through the fuel system now, so we'll see if that makes a difference or not. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Running the heater shouldn't make anything shake. You might consider loosening your water pump's drive belt and see how smoothly it spins by hand.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:15 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

The purge control valves I replaced were the same as a bad pcv (crankcase) Electrically, they werent closing so the flow was never stopped.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:23 PM

Well I actually found that my battery is smaller than what is supposed to be in it, isn't that wonderful. I'm not sure why someone would want a smaller battery. So, needless to say I will be putting the correct battery in it. Wonder if that has anything to do with turning the heater on and the car vibrating, not enough power possibly. I will check the drive belt for the water pump as well!
Old 04-23-2010, 11:50 AM

Most likely you have a bad motor mount. As long as the smaller battery was tied down properly it wouldn't cause any issues.