Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Project LS, the 2000 Tib

Old 12-29-2011, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

My car has a date with the body shop this Friday, we couldn't get everything straight on our own, and couldn't get the needed dimensions from a known good car or off the net. Didn't feel like pulling the fender off my friends car...

I'll have to order an inner fender well, possibly get another sub-frame if the current one can't be un-bent, and epoxy the headlight housing a bit as well.

Progress.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:36 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Not too much dude, although changing the sub frame cannot be a fun job. Do you live in the rust belt?
Old 12-29-2011, 02:44 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I recently changed my rear sub-frame.. PAIN in the ass. It was all rusted together, we had to torch threw the trailing arms to get them off. I ended up getting 2 new trailing arms, welding my new sub-frame too then getting 4 bushings. I got most of my stuff at the junkyard besides the 4 bushings for the inside trailing arms. Its not a bad job if it comes apart easy but its a PAIN, my camber bolts in the back would NOT come off, i ended up having to go back to the junkyard and scavaging on the ground looking for them but i found them..
Old 12-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

There are dimensional specification drawings on hyundaitechinfo, including measured engine bay drawings.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:29 PM

If you could help point me to where they are on HMA, it would be most helpful. I've ripped that site to shreds...
Old 01-19-2012, 03:13 AM

Here's a post from my build thread on HRCS

Looks like I may fall into the trap of owning 2 of the same car.

Pro:

This car can become the test mule for my hair-brain ideas

The new one won't have to endure another winter

I can put the new cars used OEM struts in this one when I do my coilover swap this spring, saving some cash

The sheer fun of having a Beauty/BEAST pair

Con:

Dmv registration fees for 2 vehicles

Insurance rate for 2 vehicles

Storage of new car in the winter

Parking of 2 cars the rest of the time

Deciding which car keeps what upgrades will be a PITA...

In case you didn't know, I bought another Tib, same year and color, but decked out with every option, 17's, yada yada. Love it to death.

This car though, has a love-hate relationship.

It lives to be a project car.

It's always been a handfull, from the day I bought it.

It pushes my buttons worse than my D50 does.

But I still like it.

I'm thinking Beauty/BEAST, may be the best answer...
Old 01-19-2012, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Resist the temptation to use parts from the old to refurbish the new car. Then you will have a "hangar queen" and a new car. Unless you just want to drive the new one and have a parts car, in which case you win.

So sorry I missed your response! I wish you'd pinged me again . . . it took all of a minute . . .

SHOP > TIBURON(RC) >2000 > G 2.0 DOHC > Body (Interior & Exterior) > General > BODY DIMENSIONS
Old 01-19-2012, 09:28 PM

I've already cannibalized the parcel shelf, floor mats, and LED lights, but those are cosmetics only.

I may swap dash surrounds, since the new car has two gruesome screw holes on the top between the vents from some kind of mount and the other one is just fine. Had the dash on 2 junkyard cars out already, so no biggie there. I'll wait on that till I get my Aussie fog light switches, so I don't have to take the dash on either car out again.

I found the dimensions about 5 minutes after I posted, hence no ping-fest on my end. still need to have it professionally pulled, because of how it was hit.