Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Project FX Coupe: The Battle Continues......

Old 02-07-2012, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

It is coming along nicely dude!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:11 AM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/FX Coupe(Triburon)

Thanks KitCoupe, thanks Steel.

I got into it a bit today and went about dropping the sump for clean up and readiness for re ringing in next day or two.

I seriously can't believe the sh*t you have togo through just to remove the sump pan - unbelievable! Take the weight of the engine drop the engine crossmember enough to gain access to all the oil pan bolts. Thats after removing the cover for the bottom of the gearbox. A lot of work for little gain, really. 100_2610.JPG

100_2615.JPG

That sorted I started cleaning every part that I could reach under there with petrol and a paint brush. A lot of crap has built up over the years, not to mention the corrosion caused by that water sitting around for so long.100_2619.JPG

I recleaned the top of the block and cylinders 100_2621.JPG

and did my absolute best to move as much rust scale and crap out from between the cylinders. No word of a lie there was close to half an inch of red sh*t in there.I filled the shed with red dust when I blew out the excess with the air hose. Horrible stuff. 100_2616.JPG

Hey KitCoupe, in answer to your question about having parts lying about all over the place here is a couple of pics of my modest setup and my organisational skill, lol.........

100_2626.JPG

Cams wrapped up. 100_2629.JPG, labeled bags/boxes of nuts and bolts ],100_2630.JPG misc parts on top, all in one box 100_2631.JPG

Another box of parts - all from same area of engine.

A couple of parts like extractors and air intake in the boot of car car along with some news parts - head gasket kit, rings, and timing kit.100_2640.JPG

This is the after photo. Taken after working all day on the car - right there. Five minutes (maybe ten,lol) clean up and you wouldn't even know I was there. 100_2644.JPG

Sorry to let you down, HyundaiKitCoupe, but thanks for your kind words.

Anyway people I will fit the new rings in the next couple of days And I hope to have enough money next week to pick up my newly machined head, and from there it, (I hope), is just a matter of reassembly. Actually I still need to get a water pump, thermostat coupler, thermostat housing, and thermostat. Plus a couple of hoses and other bits and pieces.

But I am getting somewhere - Slowly.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:07 PM

Whoa dude, that block is looking schmick! I hope you didn't get sludged on while cleaning those bits with petrol
Old 02-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Right about now is when I put in my plug for Singh Grooves before you put the head back on. Thanks for a build thread I love 'em.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:53 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

looking good! im surprised how well it cleaned up man. good work! Hope it all come together smooth.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:30 PM

thanks, wheel, stocker and tib, makes me feel all gooey inside when my hard work is appreciated, and / or acknowledged, lmfao.

oh, stocker, I am glad you like the thread, cos sometimes I think that no one wants to see my little rebuild - your comment makes it worthwhile.

Got to add a BIG THANKYOU to Wheel_Of_Steel for answering my phone calls, sms's's's, and for being a great aussie mate. Cheers, bud, beers are on me soon in Freo. ( I am driving over in the not too distant future)

cheers, and more on the way

aussiedeuce.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:28 AM

No worries bro!
Old 02-12-2012, 07:11 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

great project..I love seeing tibs ripped part and put back together
Old 02-14-2012, 06:32 AM

Cheers Regit. Hey quick question - don't ya just love the amount of room in the engine bay and having the ability to stand INSIDE the engine bay?

I do.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:31 AM

I usually put engines and stuff in my engine bay, there isn't much room to stand around making forum posts