Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Project FX Coupe: The Battle Continues......

Old 01-15-2012, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/FX Coupe(Triburon)
Default Project FX Coupe: The Battle Continues......

Ever since I joined this forum I have been posting crap everywhere. So I have decided to document my lack of planning and prior preperation in one spot.

I haven't taken on any major vehicle repair/ rebuild projects since I rebuilt a 1981 Ford XD Falcon about ten years ago. That turned out pretty good, but the key ingredients were fairly simple - Big car. Big Motor. Big Tyres. Simple. Drop in a worked 351 Cleveland motor, chuck on some fat tyres and I had a fairly tough streeter.

My FX Coupe is different altogether. Sure I have a pretty good base to start with, but my budget is a lot tighter, and there are so many more performance options available to me. Not to mention the fact that I hadn't really planned on a full rebuild, which makes decision making near impossible.

Added to THAT is the condition of the motor in the FX. I knew I was up for a new head gasket at the very least, but the closer I look and the deeper I delve the worse the G4GF looks. I am starting to think that it might be best if I completely rebuild the engine. Without going overboard. If I have her cleaned up a bit then add some basic internal upgrades I am better prepared for the future and forced induction.

I have two or three days to make up my mind, but as soon as the parts are ordered, I will be dedicated to my decision.

On that thought, I will post some pictures and you can argue between yourselves as to whether or not one choice is better than another. While you lot do that I will listen out for any options or opinions that might help me make the right decision.

Day 1.JPG

Fun begins.JPG

not too bad.JPGof.JPGproject.JPGthe.JPGcorrosion.JPGmore corrosion.JPGlook more corrosion.JPGhey look.JPGheres.JPGsome.JPGtheres some.JPGand some more.JPGyep.JPGpretty much seized.JPG

And I haven't even posted the pics of the block. It gets worse.

Cheers,

aussiedeuce
Old 01-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Seems like a good example of why we run coolant instead of just straight water in our cooling systems, as well as a good candidate for a replacement engine. If it will be out anyway, why not replace it with a block/head with less corrosion inside?
Old 01-15-2012, 04:36 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

either engine replacement and a good radiator flush, or have everything cleaned really well, radiator flush, and id say over-sizing if your using that block.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:21 AM

ok. if i cant source a cheap low mileage engine close by (in Australia) i am going to rebuild that engine. can anyone reccomend good quality and well priced brands that i should consider for parts like o/sized pistons & rings, etc?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:54 AM

Vehicle: 2012 mitsubishi eclipse spyder gs, 2001 hyundai tiburon

CP Pistons, Wiseco, Ross, most have a .5 overbore option.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:03 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

if your going N/A this would be your best option for all the parts that u are going to need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hyundai-2-0L...item20b5226289

use this to guide your decision too

1.8 pistons and 1.8 rods lower compression

2.0 pistons and 1.8 rods would shorten stroke assuming that again would lower compression

1.8 pistons and 2.0 rods will raise compression

1.8 pistons are raised on the top 2.0 pistons are not.

so if you plan on running low boost you could also just get 1.8 rods or 1.8 rods and pistons.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:45 PM

tib_500 IS AN ABSOLUTE BLOODY LEGEND!!!!

[font="'Times New Roman"]Helpful and hard working, has come up with the perfect answer to my idiotic questions more than once today.[/font]

[font="'Times New Roman"]

[/font]

[font="'Times New Roman"]You are dead right, tib, if I order that kit it leaves me with enough money to pay for machining, and some of the other consumables - THIS WEEK!!!![/font]

[font="'Times New Roman"]

[/font]

[font="'Times New Roman"]Love ya work tibster![/font]
Old 01-18-2012, 04:44 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Tiburon SE

Wow, that's some nasty corrosion all over the place. Since you're already going to bore the cylinders, you might as well invest in some forged aluminum pistons to go with it. While you're at it, you should try to do a similar rebuild setup to mine. First, send out your head to a machine shop and ask them to shave it down 40/1000 of an inch, 1.02mm I believe. That's a fair tolerance and still leaves you some wiggle room, even potential for boost on a higher compression setup with those new pistons. If you don't opt for larger pistons, then clean off you current ones, or find newer identical ones and then go to your local Hyundai dealership and ask for an upper head gasket kit. If I remember correctly, it cost around 200$ CDN. That includes pretty much all you need for the rebuild: piston rings, head gasket, connecting rod bearings, etc.

I never had to do work on the block itself, so I can't suggest anything for that. Raising the compression and generally just cleaning up the engine made a world of difference for my car. Altogether, with the head machine work and the upper head gasket kit, the total cost for the rebuild was 700$. You look like you have a lot of extra stuff to take care of, especially with the cylinders. I wish you luck with that! Show us some pics when you're through!
Old 02-07-2012, 12:23 PM

100_2575.JPGHey there Hundys.

Just a quick update for those interested - if anyone is left, hahaha;

Head is away at the machinist's - who has lightly ported and polished the head, concentrating mainly on exhaust outlets I believe. Re-seated the valves, replaced the essentials, trimmed her down and flattened her off (nb: Not sure how much etc I will update as soon as I know) and hopefuly got her flowing pretty well.

Got rained out one day at the worst time. Halfway between two jobs. The car was neither in nor out. Those that were online that day will remember my curses in the shoutbox. Was pretty funny in the end.

100_2574.JPG

100_2575.JPG

100_2578.JPG

100_2579.JPG

I have gathered most of the essential parts required for re assembly, gaskets, belts, etc just short a water pump, thermostat housing, thermostat, and thermostat coupler. Oh and I need to pay for the head so that I can pick it up, lol.

Shouldn't be too long, now.

Cheers,

aussiedeuce
Old 02-07-2012, 02:18 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Unbelievable that you have taken this on all yourself. I bet there's parts all over the place lol.

Good work! I can't wait for this to be up all cleaned up and running again.