Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Prioritsing For A Noob, Spelling Maybe Too.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Well olde man winter is setting in miserably like he does every year in my little slice of heaven Pembroke. This can leave an anxious young ricer enthuisast with more time then he would need. That being said I am hoping for opinions on what I could do to make me car a little cleaner and fun to drive. At the moment my performance is well some what. Header/catback, cai, optima red top, front strut bar. Wainting for nice weather are 1.8 cam/ecu and header wrap to be installed. On the outside some nice black tails, the aftermarket kind don't have much patience with paint Im afraid. So now I would like to know what would be a nice touch or to to add. Im not looking to turbo because my engine would have to be pulled. Im at 230 000 kms and she needs a lil tlc. I was thinking and nice fluid flush all round, fuel filter, and 2.0 timing belt package from kspec? Good idea bad idea? Will I ever get these parts if I do oreder them? That as my general idea for an engine tune up what else should I tackle? Cam /and ecu will happen aboot the same time so things will be nicely apart and a good time for any thing else.
My thoughts:
Fluid flush- any recomended brand names?
Timing belt kit from kspec
TB machined out to 58 mm
Im port and polished - do I gasket match this aswell?
Oil catch can

What else would be nice. Im not looking for extreme power but a fun drive that could be peeled down the track when asked to. My budget is around 1500. Im also planning on some sort of suspension setup. Will be expensive cause I probably wont be able to do it. Any suggestions in any way or form. Note short shifter and rear strut bar are pending.

Thanx to anyone who actually read all that. Pics asap!
Old 11-13-2006, 07:25 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Check the compression in the motor and see how bad it is. 230k kms doesn't mean insta-disaster. As an example, there are 160k mile Supras with near stock compression pushing 500whp on stock internals still.

The TB machining and IM port and polish would be cheap, but I don't know if you'd get massive gains from it.

Timing belt would be good idea if your do for it, likewise a fluid flush.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:51 AM

Location: York. About 2hrs from Philly and 4 hours from Pittsburgh

Timing belt is definitely a good idea if it's been around 60,000 miles since the last change (not sure how to convert to kms.)

As far as suspension goes, grap some eibach pro kit lowering springs (assuming you have rims less than 18 inchs.) I believe you can pick up the eibachs for around $230 and I don't think they are too terribly hard to install.

With an N/A setup, it will be hard to do much more engine mods with 1500, though you could grab an underdrive pully and plugs/wires.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:10 AM

Yea ide definately pick up some springs, and return your header wrap.

Im at 105k with a blown trans and stock timing belt... I dont think its needed at 60k, probably 100k. So replace your shit. fing02.gif
Old 11-14-2006, 08:19 AM

Location: York. About 2hrs from Philly and 4 hours from Pittsburgh

^^^ Wow, you never had the timing belt changed? When you bought the car how many miles were on it? It may have been changed when or before you bought it.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:34 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I'd never wait that long. Last thing I need is a broken timing belt ruining the head. Interference engines you better keep a good eye on the wear of that belt and change it as soon as its worn unless you want some bent valves and god knows what else.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:33 AM

I heard that timing belts were one of the biggest problems with Tiburons. I'm so glad I got my tib with 30k miles lol
Old 11-14-2006, 10:43 AM

Timing belts aren't really "problems" on Tibs anymore than they are on other vehicles... They're a PITA but they're a scheduled part to be replaced.... You just gotta do it....
Old 11-14-2006, 08:56 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Anyone have any details on how to "mod" me tb. Thanks for the ideas fellas.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:07 PM

One recommendation that will cost you $22 X 2 odd and 7000 Miles of driving -

www.auto-rx.com

I had 105K Miles when I started the treatment. Nearly 20K miles later, the car feels like it's less than half it's age. This is the only treatment that can get this result safely and effectively. This is NOT snake oil.

When you're done with that, search for "Screwdriver's additive thread". Winter is a great time to work on the insides of a car.