Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Power Steering Pump Install Problems..

Old 12-13-2006, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, so today I changed my power steering pump and fluid (obviously). When I went to bleed the system, it didn't really work too well. The power steering works fine, but now it has that nasty squeak. I'm sure it is coming from the pump itself, and not the belts. Also, when i do try to bleed it. I can see air bubbles coming out of the fluid thats in the reservoir. Its not anything crazy, just a good amount of foam, with the occasional bubble.

So do you guys think that if i just keep bleeding it (cap off, and turn back and forth a million times) the air will work itself out? Or do I need to do something different?

I read the HMA services tutorial, and followed it as described. However, I had to keep the car on the ground, becuase my jack wouldn't fit under the car, and I seemed to have lost my ramps.

Thank you

Bump....Im dieing over here guys.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:43 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Does the squeak go away if you spray a bit of WD40 on the belt?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:44 AM

No, its not the belt. I gave a poor description of the sound, sorry. The sound is that nasty Power steering whine you hear coming from cars sometime. No squeak, no squeal, jsut a nasty whine when you turn the wheel. Also, you can kinda hear something in the car as well. Its sounds like trickling water going through the steering column. I'm not sure if anyone has ever had air in there indoor heating lines before, but it sounds like that...

I am pretty certain, there is just far too much air in the power steering assembly. I just dont know how to get it out, or if it will work itself out.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

in the service manual it says to jack up the front of the car, disconnect power to coil packs and take off the lid from the ps fluid and fill it up, the turned the steering wheel fully back and forth cranking the car occasionally to bleed the system. wink1.gif

edit: I just noticed you said ramps, the reason for jacking is so that you can turn the wheel back and forth without the car started.... not sure why they don't have you start it but oh well. I just know what the manual says from changing my fluid about a month ago.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Maybe that's the problem, that you're not jacking it up. Maybe it doesn't bleed well enough without the free-play in the tires.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:43 PM

When I was talking about ramps, I mentioned that my jack didn't fit under the car. So if I had my ramps, I would ride up on them so i could get my jack under the car, and get stands under there. Then I would remove the ramps all together.

Any other ideas? This thing is loud, annoying, and sounds like a dieing seal.

Maybe I just need to re-drain the fluid and bleed it the right way? I would have hoped there would be something else I could do. Because its a mess when changing it.

Thanks

Edit: I think im just gonna try to redo this all tomorrow.