Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Power Steering Problems. Cant Stop The Noise!

Old 09-06-2009, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok where to start. I have a 04 tiburon. I recently went to the dealer to get my timing belt changed and they did a shitty job. Timing belt covers were not put on right and my power steering pumpwas making a noise. So I took it back to the dealer and they said my pump was going. I was pissed so I called my credit card company and I dont have to pay for it. Anyways I still couldnt get my ps pump to stop making a noise. I tried bleeding it and got nothing. I bought a remanufactured pump from rock auto and still even that pump made the noise even after bleeding it. What am I doing wrong? I even replaced the pressure hose to make sure that wasn't going bad. Maybe its the fluid? It looks dark but it also looks like the dealer put ATF fluid in it because its red. What fluid should I put in? Please help me out thanks.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:45 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

if it were my car i would drain the lines, pump, and rack. then i would add a quart of Lucas power steering additive along with the new fluid.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:00 PM

Ok well how would I go about replacing the fluid? Also what fluid should I use? I know Hyundai recommends psf-3? But where the heck do you find psf-3 fluid? Someone said any old universal fluid is fine but I want to make sure.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Holy cow people! You got your car back from a place that did a poor job on a BELT replacement . . . did you make sure the noise wasn't coming from your power steering belt? Does the 04 have belt driven PS?
Old 09-06-2009, 09:17 PM

I took it to my local mechanic and redid the timing belt and everything else and I'm sure its my p/s pump. Yes my 04 is belt driven.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:11 PM

be more specific here....what kind of noise?
squeeking? humming?
if it is squeeking you will be able to see the belt slip...
in that case, tighten or loosen the powersteering belt and alternator belt...
Old 09-06-2009, 10:16 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

To replace the fluid first drain the fluid by disconnecting the lines from the rack after removing the cap from the pump. catch the fluid for color, smell, and for objects that could be in the fluid. after all has drained filter the fluid and check for shavings exc, also you should be able to tell if there if a problem by color and smell easily. if clean reconnect line refill with fluid. the fluid should be cross referable, just contact your local advanced auto and ask if they can get or find a compatible fluid.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:34 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (markstibbyspot @ Sep 7 2009, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>be more specific here....what kind of noise?
squeeking? humming?
if it is squeeking you will be able to see the belt slip...
in that case, tighten or loosen the powersteering belt and alternator belt...</div>

It's definitely not a sqeeking sound and it isn't my belts making the sound. It sounds like a super charger im not going to lie lol.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:21 PM

well if it sounds like a supercharger....what are you complaining about...haha j/k...
yup sounds like the pump is going.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:28 PM

It cant be bad Its brand new. Its a re manufactured PS pump from rockauto. Put it in maybe a week ago and I haven't even drove it since.