Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Power Steering Delete

Old 07-13-2009, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

If this has been covered in the past I'm sorry, I couldn't find it but I'm interested in removing the power steering and wanted to know if anyone knew of a "right" way to do it, I have my engine out at the moment and the pump reservoir, cooling loop and lines are out as well, I'm just not sure if there is a proper way to cap the steering rack so it functions smoothly.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you've got everything else out, a crossover hose would be my guess. There's two hoses to the rack, right? I'm not sure how important it is that it be swimming in oil, but if you are willing to chance a little mess, fill your new little crossover hose with oil and try to jam it in place as fast as possible to prevent spilling. Tighten, and forget about it.

That's my hunch, anyway. Just running with the PS belt removed won't help your car lose weight, but it hasn't killed my steering rack yet (11k ish miles later)
Old 07-14-2009, 07:13 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Don't know what you searched for, but I found several threads on my 3rd try. Took less than a minute.

"Power Steering" - In Titles - Performance section.

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...+steering\

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...+steering\

There are more out there, but those should answer it for you.

Learn how to use the SEARCH and all of the options in it.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:28 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

^^^ opening this for a last post REDZ. In the second link posted by REDZ , Tim said this and I quote:

"Mine is removed also, and if your going to do it make sure you either loop the lines with fluid still in the system or buy some sort of power steering elimination kit that uses a motorcycle brake reservoir to hold the fluid. Cause if you simply drain all the power steering fluid the rack will end up eating itself. "

someone else also mentioned reading about a kit that that was offered on honda-tech. there is a pic showing the parts they used in this kit and could probably be very similar for a setup on our cars.

http://hondamarketplace.com/showthread.php?t=563116

Actually i am glad someone brought this up since i will be doing a PS delete also, whenever i get my damn car back that is.