Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Power Steering Belt squeeks?

Old 06-22-2004, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2K Tib

Ok, here's whats up. I had the timing belt replaced 2 weeks ago. I had the other three belts done too, including the power steering belt. Now the damn PS belt squeeks. First start of the morning and when I bump into the steering locks. So like I'm pulling into a parking spot and have the wheel turns fully left...squeek-city, brother.

Anyway, the belt is tighten correctly but I noticed it's not the same kind of belt as the factory one. The old one had teeth on the inside (against the pulleys) and the new one has expansion joints on the outside (away from the pulleys). Could it be as simple as the type of belt?
Old 06-22-2004, 09:15 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Could be...

You check your fluids lately?
Old 06-22-2004, 01:47 PM

I have the same exact problem! I've had it looked at many, many, many times! It seems like no one can fix the stupid thing. Maybe it is the kind of belt? I would love to find out a fix for this...

I'm not positive but I think mine started right after they changed my timeing belt..
Old 06-22-2004, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I have the same problem as well. Happened right after they changed timing belt and all others. Had the dealer look at belt and he said it was tight enough.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:27 PM

my power steering blelt squeals, only after the car has been sitting a while. after everything warms up it is fine. it started happening right after I got my crank pulley installed with new belts.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:27 PM

Is it a belt squeel or a squek? If its a squeking sound, its probably the PS pump bearing.. Alot of people have that problem.. Just get some lithium grease and squirt the bearing w/ the engine running.. If it stops, theres your problem ;/
Old 06-22-2004, 03:33 PM

easy fix for ya take a Crayon anykind and while the car is running hold it inside part of the belt untill the squeal goes away the wax is the best thang dont try to use spray to lube up your belt it does more damage to a belt than anything , if u still here noise run it on the top part of the belt, than take it from there hope that helps some
Old 06-23-2004, 09:15 AM

how do you know the belt is tightened correctly? You have ALL the symptoms of a loose belt.. Do not just take the dealership's word for it.. go out there and see for yourself. Hyundai uses a double locking system to assure that the belts stay tight. First there is the bolt that you turn to make the belt tight (or loose) and then there is a bolt that LOCKS that one from turning under the stress
Old 06-23-2004, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I took it to two places and they said it was tight enough. The squeal only happens for about 2-5 seconds MAX. It only happens when the engine is cool and has been sitting overnight. After 5 seconds or so there's never any more squeal, no matter how hard I turn the wheels or anything. It's almost like the engine's yawning after waking up lol.gif
Old 06-23-2004, 10:16 AM

^^^^ exactly like what I got.