Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Porting Intake Manifold

Old 10-04-2005, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just wondering how you port the inside of the runners? And how hard is it to do? Does anybody have any before and after pictures? Sorry if this has already been discussed but i did a search and found nothing.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:09 PM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Elantra GT

Stock with gasket

Stock head with gasket

Stock inside through tb inlet

Ported #1 runner

Ported inside through tb inlet

Dyno tomorrow I hope to prove gains from this and polished tb
Old 10-04-2005, 09:05 PM

thanks for the pics, how'd you port it? Did you use a die grinder or the acid stuff?
Old 10-04-2005, 11:28 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

Extrude honing can also be very effective fing02.gif
Old 10-04-2005, 11:33 PM

Anybody have a DIY
Old 10-04-2005, 11:40 PM

I used rotozip to port mine. You can get bits from homedepot, then get some polishing paper smile.gif
Old 10-05-2005, 06:51 AM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Elantra GT

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>thanks for the pics, how'd you port it? Did you use a die grinder or the acid stuff?</div>

It was done with a dremel and some special long bits to get all the way inside.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Extrude honing can also be very effective fing02.gif</div>

Yes it can where there is a single valve. But when you have multiple valves you have the "hump" that begins the division of the air flow leading to the multi valves. Extrude honing will remove this hump. That may not be a bad thing if you are also porting the head and remove the hump on the head side. However that is not what I did so instead of having the airflow run smack into the face of the hump on the head side as others have done who have ported their IM, I left it in place so as to not add turbulance.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Anybody have a DIY</div>

I would seriously caution anyone attempting to port and polish if they have never done it before. I would not "practice" on you IM or any other part of your engine. It takes some experience and skill to do it without f'n something up. That is why I had a friend who has lots of experience do it for me.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:51 AM

^^^^ bastard. after seeing the pics i was going to attempt it myself.....until you said not to try it. lol my cheap ass always wants to try it myself.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:41 AM

How much would it cost to have an OEM IM ported AND polished like that?
I saw the Extrude Hone website, but for $340 + Shipping, I'd prefer to spend the extra $200 and get an AirRam, I mean, I don't doubt Extrude Hone could be a great job on a IM, but it's so expensive that it get's the price too close to a professional-made sport intake mani with bigger plenum like an AirRam...
However, if a job like the one in the pics could be done for less than $200 (for the job itself, not including shipping) it could be a very good alternative... wouldn't it?
Old 10-05-2005, 09:58 AM

So you did get all the way through the runners uh? Do you remember what kind of bits you used?