Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Poor Performance After Misfire

Old 07-08-2009, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blue Bomber @ Jul 8 2009, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Hmm. This is sounding similar to my car. What my car did, it was fine in the entire rpm band except for 3-4K. If I was not stepping on the pedal hard, when i reached these rpms in 3rd or 4th gear, my car would become very sluggish and would start like puttering. The rpms would only go up very slowly from that point till I passed about 4K revs. However, if I slammed the pedal, this would dissapear. I have new spark plugs and new wires and a keifco tps. I also used a fluid to clean my injectors and it still isnt fixed. Does this sound similar to your problem?</div>

This sounds almost like mine, except even after i pass 4k rpms in any gear there is almost no power whatsoever.

today i'm buying the wires and looking into getting a new tps. i'll have to see what brands the car stores have around here.

sorry for the double post, but today i bought some new wires and the problem is still the same. i'll look around for a tps, but at least now i know that i have good wires.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:51 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

You CAN test your own TPS. HMA Service has the testing procedures, but another easy way to test is to idle your car and push on the side of it. If your revs change, the TPS is bad. Wiggle the cable harness and the TPS, if it changes RPM, it's bad.

If it doesn't change, it may still be bad.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

What hes really trying to say is safe yourself troubleshooting a crappy part, if you have a dae sung get a kefico. fing02.gif
Old 07-08-2009, 11:00 PM

Haha yeah i read red's post and laughed. everyone seems to really despise dae-sung. i just ran outside to check my tps, pushed on my car, nothing, and played with the harness, nothing. the only time it changed rpms is when i take the whole dang sensor off. it revvs higher for a second, then calms back down to a normal idle.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:36 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

It's not a hate/love thing for the Dae Sung, there is a TSB (Technical Safety Bulliten) on it. They are poorly built, and known to fall apart and cause a ton of problems. The dealer can fix it for free, but if you are out of warranty, they probably won't. The "Fix" they offer is to replace it with the Keifco. In essence, any other TPS should be fine, Bosch, whatever, but the Daesungs cause lots of problems. Mine started similar to what you are talking about, it took it weeks before it fully broke.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:47 AM

I will keep looking around for a kefico, but as a need a lot more important repairs right now i'll hold off.

And i have absolutely no clue how i forgot about this, but i didn't mention that i for some stupid reason drove on the misfire to the closest autozone to have the cel checked out. so i drove about 7 or 8 miles to get there. I know this is terrible for the engine, would that have done any damage, causing bad compression or threw the timing off?
Old 07-09-2009, 10:24 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Listen to denisst99, if you drove with a cylinder not firing all that fuel might have melted your cat..
FWIW i have a dae-sung TPS and it works fine still
Old 07-09-2009, 12:03 PM

thanks radu. I'll go about finding out where i can have that done very soon. I do recall the cat glowing red after i got home from autozone...
Old 07-11-2009, 11:45 AM

I did in fact melt the cat. Me and my friend did a little exhaust work and sure enough out comes the honeycomb of the cat that now looks like little bits of buildings. And my car has all of its power back again laugh.gif