Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Part-Out or Buy-Out? [Need opinions]

Old 06-28-2012, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Tiburon SE

I have a '96 Camry with over 370k km on it that's been winter driven every year of its life and the frame is still in great shape all around. There is also almost no surface rust either. The Camry was not cared for even remotely as close as the Tiburon, which was in rough shape when I bought it 5 years ago.

So yes, all cars will rust if they have a steel frame which is accelerated by salty roads, but there is an objective quality difference that separates them too. By offering to even buy out the car, Hyundai has admitted that this level of frame decay is premature and unwarranted. Toyota did the same thing to their mid-90s Tacomas around here because the frames were rotting out. They bought many of them off for about $20k before they realized it was cheaper to just replace the full frame. My father has been working for Toyota for a number of years and saw this happen on a number of occasions fairly recently.