Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Part-Out or Buy-Out? [Need opinions]

Old 06-26-2012, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Tiburon SE
Default Part-Out or Buy-Out? [Need opinions]

Hi folks,

[Feel free to read this part to get some background info on my story, otherwise, skip down lower to get to my question.] So earlier this spring I repainted my front bumper cover as it had scratch on it. After taking it off and going to re-install it, I was able to take a peek at the frame of the car, where it meets the strut towers. To my horror, I saw that there was barely any metal left there at all! The whole thing was extremely corroded and looked like it was ready to fall apart at a moment's notice.

I had had the car totally repainted only a couple of years ago and had some rust removal done too. The car hasn't seen winter in over 5 years. It surprised me that the body man never pointed out the corrosion in the first place. My father (a Master Hyundai tech) told me to contact Hyundai Canada right away as this kind of rust to the frame was totally uncalled for. I did, and they asked me to bring it in for an inspection at a local dealership. After the inspection was done, they told me that the warranty adjusters claimed that the car was unsalveagable and that they would only offer me $750 to buy it out. I insisted that I had just spent almost $5000 in restoration work, rebuilt the engine less than 40k km ago and had the car professionally maintained by a Master Hyundai tech, even sending them all of my receipts for the car's maintenance and parts since the beginning.

Well, Hyundai just told me they wouldn't budge on the buyout price, so I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place here. Should I accept the offer and just cut my losses entirely, or do you think I would have more luck parting out the car to members on this site?

I can list a few things that might be of interest to members here. Let me know if you'd want it and how much you'd be willing to pay. Here goes:

• 2.0L engine from a 1999 Tiburon --> Not quite stock. Was rebuilt about 40k km ago by my father and I and we had the head shaved down over 1mm to raise the compression. New connecting rod bearings, piston rings, head gasket, etc.
  • AEM Cold Air Intake [Blue]
  • 5-speed manual transmission. Nothing modified, shifts super smooth and has no leaks or problems.
  • Various bumper covers, fenders (only a couple of years old), spoiler (stock one), etc. all repainted to the stock Cape Blue, but with an added metallic flake. Spoiler may need some repainting as it is faded around the lip.
  • Stock cloth seats in perfect condition.
  • Various electronic pieces throughout the car (power window motors, sunroof, etc.) and trim pieces that are all in good shape.

Let me know what you think and if there is any interest in a part-out for this car. It comes down to whether I will make more than $750 on the parts, while factoring into it the work required to take them out. Alternately, I could sell the car as-is to someone for a reasonable price too.

Much appreciated,

Nick
Old 06-26-2012, 11:05 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Yeah, I'd part im out. That really sucks man.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:30 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

That does suck, sorry to hear it man.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:01 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Find another Tib and use this one as a donor

We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better...stronger...faster.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:50 AM

Do you really think I want another Tiburon after finding out what kind of cheap metal they've been using on their frames? I live in Ottawa, Ontario; every Tiburon around here has likely seen quite a few winters and will doubtlessly look exactly the same. I spent a metric crap-load of money and time bringing this car back to life and Hyundai slaps me in the face with this $750 offer, looking purely at black book value and nothing else. I suppose I could have one imported from the southern states in better shape, but that's just going overboard for a cheap car.

I won't be getting another Tiburon, and seeing as I'm now in the market for a new car, they can rest assured that I won't be getting the new Genesis Coupe I was looking at either. I have an alternate plan for this car that Hyundai won't be too happy to hear about. I won't reveal it on here just yet, in case some Hyundai rep is reading this thread. *puts on tin foil hat*

Still no interest in the parts themselves?
Old 06-27-2012, 04:27 PM

Vehicle: 1999/hyundai/tiburon

I would be interested in your main headlights. Only if they are available. What shape are they in?
Old 06-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you have a place to store the parts, and patience to list them all for sale, you can beat their offer easily. If not, good luck.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:11 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

I suspect the resulting litigation will rock the automotive community
Old 06-27-2012, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rd1cuda
I would be interested in your main headlights. Only if they are available. What shape are they in?

They aren't cracked or anything, but they are a little foggy. I tried using some rubbing compound to clean them off and it helped some, but a lot of it seems like it's actually inside. Not very great to be honest.

If anyone wants to buy the whole thing as-is for $1500, I think it would make an excellent donor vehicle for part swaps. The engine feels like it has so much more pep and torque after raising the compression and so far has proven to be bulletproof. Likewise, plenty of body and trim parts in excellent shape to replace older ones on your own car.

I just went out and bought a mint '88 Mustang 5.0 with 72000km on it. I rejected Hyundai's offer as well. The Tiburon is just going to sit here until somebody wants to take the whole thing. I don't think there's enough of a market for this car anymore to justify parting it out individually.

The car still drives just fine by the way. I'll gladly drive somewhere to sell it if the price is reasonable. Any takers?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:10 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I want another Tiburon after finding out what kind of cheap metal they've been using on their frames?

I'm not even being a fanboy nor defensive, but rust is rust is rust. A lambo will rust alongside a yugo if you drive them both during winter.