Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Painting Cold Air Intake

Old 01-27-2005, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good point...... what about polishing to mirror finish???
Old 01-27-2005, 03:29 PM

what paint should not matter. I painted mine with autobody touch up paint that is such a close match to the colour of my car, you would never notice.

I used the same paint to do the heat sheild on the exhaust.. no problems at all except for a few chips came off when I last washed the engine.

I know it more shows off the battery.. but you get the idea...

And this more shows off my dipstick.. but you can see the painted green heat sheild
Old 01-27-2005, 07:46 PM

Best thing to do is powder or ceramic coat it. Powder coating actually has a dual effect of not only making your CAI look nice and purdy, but acts like a thermal shield, keeping hot ambient air from dissipating into the CAI. Ceramic coating is the best type of thermal shield "paint" you can get, and I use "paint" extremely loosely...b/c you really don't paint, per se. They charge the metal surface with an electrode, so it becomes statically charged. Particles of the ceramic or powder (which are actually dry, and miniscule pellet-like) get attracted by the magnetic field. This actually works beautifully, b/c it's an extremely even coating. Then they throw the piece into an oven, let the paint melt onto the product, and let dry...I know that's way off-topic, and no one really cares. Sorry.

But back to the topic, Rustoleum high-temp paint should work. There's also Rustoleum's entire no-priming stage spray paints...dunno if they can endure high temp from the engine bay, but it should be sufficient for your needs.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:57 PM

A ceramic coating on the intake would be a good idea and it would look good...Jet Hot is offering a discount for us currently.

http://www.rdtiburon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1936
Old 01-27-2005, 08:50 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I don't know about coating an intake...

The great part of aluminum, which intakes are made of, is that it dissipates heat very well. I'm fairly sure it does take in heat, but it loses it faster than it takes it in. Ceramic coating would keep the heat in as well as powder coating. You powder/ceramic coat for show, not for performance. Well, for performance on the exhaust side of things maybe.

I think AEM powdercoats for the sake of looking pretty. After all, thats the only thing keeping somone from buying their own 3inch mandrel pipes and making their own...

I know you guys get sick of my DSM comparisons, but I've never seen a DSM in my numerous trips to track meets with the charge pipes, etc. powdercoated. Maybe the gains aren't worth the price, but its something I've never seen.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:14 AM

I'm only painting it because I'm getting a turbo kit soon.
I went to an autoparts store and picked up primer and heat resistant paint, I can't remember if it said up to 1200* or 500*. One of the two.
Heat resistant paint will work on Calipers and rotor's right?
Old 01-28-2005, 07:28 AM

i know theres like a Hot Jet Coat paint Group buy or somethign somewhere, that would be ideal for you, btw about the last post about painting calipers, i used industrial strenth road marking yellow paint (the type thats illegal and is only allowed for painting on roads lol dont ask where i get this tuff lol) and it hasent come of the smalllest bit at all, it gets dirty alot but it dosent chip or anything.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:39 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hamhead)</div><div class='quotemain'>I don't know about coating an intake...

The great part of aluminum, which intakes are made of, is that it dissipates heat very well. I'm fairly sure it does take in heat, but it loses it faster than it takes it in. Ceramic coating would keep the heat in as well as powder coating. You powder/ceramic coat for show, not for performance. Well, for performance on the exhaust side of things maybe.

I think AEM powdercoats for the sake of looking pretty. After all, thats the only thing keeping somone from buying their own 3inch mandrel pipes and making their own...

I know you guys get sick of my DSM comparisons, but I've never seen a DSM in my numerous trips to track meets with the charge pipes, etc. powdercoated. Maybe the gains aren't worth the price, but its something I've never seen.</div>

Yes, it does dissipate heat very well, but melting temp of aluminum is lower than iron. In plain english, that means aluminum has a great expansion and contraction rate than iron. The powder coating that AEM provides has a dual purpose of looks and slight thermal shield. Powder coating itself, though, is not as efficient as a thermal shield than ceramic coating, though. However, I would not ceramic coat an intake pipe, b/c the gain is not justified by the price. That's why you never see anyone do it.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

500 degree probably wouldn't last long on calipers. Calipers get above 500, sometimes near 1000 degrees if you brake hard, daily.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:14 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hamhead)</div><div class='quotemain'>500 degree probably wouldn't last long on calipers. Calipers get above 500, sometimes near 1000 degrees if you brake hard, daily.</div>

realy, well i know i ride my breaks alot cuz i do alotta starting and stoping and i realy push my brakes alot ive never ever had any paint come of my calipers, and i mean i didnt use some super heat paint, just standard Fedaral issue DOT street paint lol, i did like 2 or 3 coats of it on each caliper, cheaper then buying painted calipers lol and looks just as cool, dosent get as dirty either heh, anyway if anyone can somehow obtain the paint then kudos to you, the can i got was from my dads job where they paint stuff on the asphault and other stuff sometimes and shiats trust me the stuff dosent come off, easy to clean also.