Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Oxgen Sensor

Old 07-26-2009, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am replacing my catalytic converter, and am going ahead and replacing both O2 sensors at the same time. They both came out fairly easy, and I am replacing them with Bosch OE replacements so I shouldn't have to do any wiring with the clip.

I wanted to ask about my old sensors. The front sensor in the manifold was totaly covered in white chalky substance, just a thin coating, but you litteraly could write with it because of the white powder/chalk on it. The rear O2 sensor was different. It was literally half covered in the white chalk, and then black char on the other half, even split with the two coatings.

I read the white chalkiness was from silicon damage, but what would that be from? I can't remember using anything like that, or how it would get in there. The car did overheat at one point badly when the thermostat stuck, but I was assured there was no engine damage and have had no new problems since that had happened. No antifreeze leaks or anything that I know of. The car also used to burn/leak oil, but since putting in some addatives and switching to Valvoline High Milage oil, it doesnt leak a drop. I thought maybe those could of contributed to the catalytic converter failure, and/or the O2 sensors? I dont know, just trying to get an idea. Maybe it's jsut because the car has over 160,000 miles on it and non of that has been replaced. Any ideas on the discoloration on them would be appreciated.
Thanks

P.S.- Any tips on installing new O2 sensors, as far as proper procedure and handeling to make sure the computer resets and everything? I don't want to damage $90 sensors by being stupid.