Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Overdrive Question

Old 07-24-2005, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when do you turn your overdrive off? I have an auto tib and i heard that if you turn your overdrive off when you are going at slower speeds (i.e driving through town) it saves of gas mileage. just wanted to know what other people had to say about this. I just dont really know why you would turn it off.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:39 PM

I think it would do the opposite. Over drive saves gas.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:51 PM

Vehicle: 2015 Subaru WRX

it saves gas when it is on...

It is supposed to give you a little more power if you are going to tow something or are going up a really steep incline. (its kind of like shifting to a lower gear without having to actually shift.)
Old 07-25-2005, 02:39 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Wow, you just spat in the face of everything I thought I knew about overdrive. Are you sure your right?

I was under the impression that you saved gas if you were on the highway with it on and that if you needed to tow something or go up a steep incline you left it off and went into one of the other gears(ie. L or 1 or 2, depending on the car).
Old 07-25-2005, 08:31 AM

Overdrive is an additional gear that is used for dropping engine rpm while driving at speed. The purpose is to decrease engine noise (and wear) and increase fuel mileage. Generally speaking, the increased mileage comes at the expense of decreased power; that is why the transmission will shift to a lower gear when you try to pass someone on the highway.

So do not use in stop-and-go driving where your top speed doesn't get very high, the trans will probably shift to OD everytime you get a little speed and then back off the throttle. This winds up unnecessarily shifting back and forth from OD, wearing on the trans.

SO, I would say that when it is on... and you are on the highway (as Tiburonmoo said) it will improve gas milage.
Switch it off to tow and in stop and go traffic or when you are going at lower speeds.
(which is what I thought I said that first time... but when I reread, heh, I wasnt very clear... sorry guys wink.gif ugh.gif)
Old 07-25-2005, 03:24 PM

^^^
That about sums it up right there.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:46 AM

It is a nice little trick to shave off the second it takes to down shift in an auto.

When are you going to tow anything in a RD or RD2?
Old 07-29-2005, 05:14 AM

well in a country like where I am and there are no trucks (for the most part) cars are the primary means of towing... Ive seen a RD1 towing a medium sized camper before... kinda funny really.. lmao.gif wink1.gif
Old 07-29-2005, 03:50 PM

rofl.gif