Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Over-did It Jump Starting A Bigger Engine...got A Problem And No Code.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Go to the nearest auto parts store, have them test your charging system, and tell us what they say. An alternator can fail only partway.

And next time, let the other guy's battery charge off your alternator for a few minutes before he cranks his engine.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 Sonata

FIXED! The problem appears to have been the connector that powers the rear three injectors. Found it just poking around and noticed overheated/frayed wires entering the connector. Bypassed connector with butt splices and problem went away. I really don't think this is related to the misguided jump-starting attempt, but who knows...just age, heat, miles, etc. Got a couple pics to share, but can't quite figure out how to post them. Thanks for all the suggestions. I checked everything, but haven't spent any money yet and it seems fixed.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Can't fix what's acting like it's not broken. I'm glad it appears to have $ free for you.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 Sonata

UPDATE...rewiring the injectors didn't really fix the problem. I thought so, but the next day...same shit. So after finding and repairing a couple more flaky looking connectors I FINALLY did what most all of you said in the first place. New plugs and wires. Now I've put about 50 miles on it and it's running better than ever. So I will definitely add this to my automotive knowledge base....Thanks guys...wasn't sure where to start throwing money at it, but thanks to you, It's good to go with minimal expense. Oh by the way, this is a BEATER...lol. Hence the resistance to buy shit.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:18 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Word. New plugs and wires, and sometimes a battery fixes most random problems like you described in the first post.