Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Optima Battery Question

Old 01-06-2005, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: RD Tiburon Calendar

did a search here and on google and couldn't find much info on what model no# optima yellow top battery will fit our cars. (RD2) Does anyone know? thnx
Old 01-06-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Tranny Swap

Any one of them that has the same or higher CCA that our battery has will work fine. I used to have this number around here somewhere. I'll try to find it.

You may have to modify our holder to be able to accomidate it but it will work.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:56 AM

how would i modify it?
Old 01-11-2005, 11:44 AM

I don't think you have to modify anything. My red top fits perfect, just make sure you put the bracket back on that hold the battery in place.

The only think I had to do was cut a zip tie to give more slack on the wires to reach.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:46 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (UltraTibby)</div><div class='quotemain'>Any one of them that has the same or higher CCA that our battery has will work fine. I used to have this number around here somewhere. I'll try to find it.</div>
FYI you dont look at the CCA when buying a battery. You look at the battery family. There are many different ones. It'll be a 2 digit number. 35, 54, 68 are three that come to my mind at the moment. Im not sure what the stock hyundai family is
Old 01-11-2005, 11:50 AM

Yes for the size of the battery. But for the actual battery that WILL work but wont fit in your holder you can use any with the same or higher CCA.

BTW there is a RED top that fits in our holder (in our "family) and has the correct CCA. But since you want a yellow top that doesnt help too much.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:13 PM

I get to show off my battery again!

The optima is nice.. but what you need is a lightweight battery.. like mine.. the Hawker-odyessy Dry cell.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/

And now for the pretty pics...

Nice new Dry Cell:

Nice new Dry Cell Next to ugly old battery:

And a few pics of it installed in my Tib:

I cannot find the pictures of how I had to mutalate the original battery box.. but suffice to saw, I cut a good 4 or 5 inches off of the end of it and another inch off of the side.. that is how much smaller this Battery is.

Specs:

925 cranking amps
53 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load
Dimensions: inches (mm)
width 7.05 (179.0)
length (terminal side) 6.64 (168.6)
height* 5.04 (128.0)
Weight 26.0 lbs / 11.8 kg
Old 01-11-2005, 04:35 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

no one really knows what the stock group size of a Hyundai is. any car for that matter...

at sears, we "suggest" group 47, which is part of the international series (more expensive). I tell people that a group 35 is best. it fits perfect...

for the optimas, i'm not certain about the other colors, but the blue would be a "34M".... i'll try to get the part number 2morrow.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:55 PM

I've seen Mads in person as well as one with an optima. I have to say for about the same cash (Mads way is a little more expensive) Mads looks a hell of alot nicer. And not to mention it opens up your engine bay a lot!
Old 01-11-2005, 06:01 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (UltraTibby)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yes for the size of the battery. But for the actual battery that WILL work but wont fit in your holder you can use any with the same or higher CCA.</div>
the funny thing is that our cars use very little amps to crank over. its not like a hemi v8. We could get away with 400cca. Its really not an issue for us. Another thing is most optima's and we'll referance optimas because this is what he was asking about. All have a minimum of like 750CCA, i think thats the smallest one at least what we carry at autozone.