Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

One Last Shot..

Old 02-20-2006, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

1) NEVER rev an engine that is not running right like that.

2) Check plugs for oil.

3) Do a compression test.

4) Plug in the IAT.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:52 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

a head isnt that expensive in all reality i bet i can get one for around hundred from the yard and there not that hard to remove just a couple of bolts really (all 10 and 12mm i think)

and yeah connect that sensor im certain thats one of the main problems
Old 02-20-2006, 08:08 PM

I would look to the piston rings before the head.

Check your coolant for oil and your oil for coolant. that will tell you if its a head gasket or head.

If it is the head, I have a spare I could drop off... $80
Old 02-20-2006, 08:10 PM

In all honesty, with it having been like that for an extended period of time, I'd be surprised if its just the sensor. The problem has gotten worse over time I believe... so maybe it started off with just a few sensors, then got worse.

If you got off with no internal damage count yourself lucky.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:14 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i didnt see the part where different smoke was coming out of your exhaust. that is a pretty bad sign. i can almost guarantee anything bad that has happened is due to that sensor not being in though. you f-ed up your timing bad by not having that thing in there, especially considering you are boosted.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:15 PM

All this information from you guys and then from speaking to my dad, my head is just spinning.

I understand that when you turbo you should know about turbos. I knew the basic things and I was learning along the way and reading the infamous turbo book. But seriously, I dont have many sources to show me how to actually fix a car..im not going to just go in there and start messing with stuff without being completely sure on it. All I do is spend hours online trying to figure out whats wrong..thats how I learn.

I feel like the blame is on me kinda and its not fair really because I didnt install it all and didnt know what the sensors that were unplugged were.

My dad has been a mechanic for 25 yrs., he's seen turbo cars etc. he has a lot of opinions too on what could be wrong. Im totally frustrated cause its like a million different possibilities. My dad said it could also be the tranny just cause when he drove it and it was misfiring he had to manually shift gears in order for it to drive right, but then he said all the codes he got were sensor/engine related. Then he said it could be something with the timing belt, or another sensor messing this all up. But he doesnt think its the engine he thinks its electrical. Its hard for me to actually do anything becuase my car is in NJ and Im in NY. Its freezing in NJ so my dad cant do much either. The only advantage to all this is that all labor id have to pay would be free if big repairs would be needed.

I knew someone would say something to me about revving the engine..i know its bad but i had to show everyone the point.

The blue/black/white smoke comes under throttle.

I changed my spark plugs the first time it started misfiring btw.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:16 PM

I would work on why your burning oil (blue smoke). It could be a cracked piston ring or a valve seal gone bad. This will cause your plugs to foul and your car to misfire.

The black (running rich) is because of the IAT.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:16 PM

I am going to say you have a dead turbo. I would pull off the hose to the intake and check for oil from it blowing past the seals. That screeching sound would seem like the turbine was rubbing against the housing.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:24 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

the sensor is hooked up.. just not reading air temps in the air filter and i doubt the difference in temp will be major (6-7" away) when i quickly did my cai fro my car i've ran out of time and simpl zip tied it close to the filter worked very fine
but in her case it might have been damaged from dangling around and hitting the engine, with a scan tool check if the IAT temps are somewhat close to the actual air temp

missfire codes.. engine running very rough.. so no doubt you'll get those codes...
hissing sound this one sounds like a major vaccum leak somewhere i'd say between the TB and head so check vaccum hoses,tb and intake manifold gaskets
quick test apply 10-15 psi of compressed air to the entire piping systeme (turbo inlet does the trick) listen for leak and use soapy water to actually see them)

black stuff coming out opf the tailpipe... might simply be humidy(condensation) and exhaust deposit mixed up together

does the car "drink" antifreeze?
does the car consume oil ?
do you have oil in the intercooler & piping?
do you have oil in the turbine housing donwpipe?
did you check the compression?
you do seam to have an exhaust leak somewhere

you only have a fuel pump,no injectors no higher fuel pressure?

in the second video engine sound awfully rough, is it a metallic sound or just the engien dangling around in its mounts?
Old 02-20-2006, 08:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

before you do anything else, even starting the car, get that IAT sensor plugged in their please. you just need a drill, 3/4"(i think) circle cutout, the rubber grommet it sits in the stock airbox, some heatshrink, wire, and a soldering iron/solder.

im not getting on you, im getting on the idiot that just decided to unplug a sensor and leave it banging around in the engine bay.