Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

One Last Shot..

Old 02-20-2006, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Alright guys this is my last shot at this.

I have a turbo tibby. For a while now, its been acting funny and I really cant figure out what the deal is. My dad thinks its an ignition problem. Im posting five videos, each short in duration, heres a picture of what came out of my exhaust after I had the car on.

This is whats going on:

I have TEN different codes for sensors..air temperature, misfire cylinders 1,2,3,4..just what I remember.

Under load the car totally misfires, just driving it blue then black smoke comes out.

If Im driving and suddenly stop, the idle jumps a bit or the car stalls.

I cannot get past 3-3500 rpm under heavy throttle..the car bogs, spits, backfires.

The only fuel management thing I have is a fuel pump..I cannot do anything else until my car is working fine again.

Guys, I really need your help.. Please don’t say change your spark plugs or anything simple like that cause I know theres a bigger problem. Any ideas you have of what it might be post..I know theres some smart people around here. =)

Here are the videos:

Starting car and looking at engine bay.

Car on then stalls.

Revving car a bit then it stalls.
In engine bay again..have no idea what that screeching/hissing noise is..it was coming out near the air intake. Im also showing sensors that are disconnected here. Dont mind the white thing in the bov, my dad put that there temporarily so the bov wouldnt keep opening and closing at the wrong time causing the stall sometimes and yes I know my air intake is dirty.
Here Im revving the car..you can hear that it hesitates when I first press the throttle.

Thats all. Thanks guys!
Old 02-20-2006, 06:03 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

you have a blown head gasket or cracked head. that is your problem.

and u dont have your sensor hooked up that use to go into your air box
Old 02-20-2006, 06:06 PM

didnt seem like you had all cylinders on the last vid. Reset ECU. how much boost are you running? you might be too lean.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:15 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

why the hell is your iat(intake air temp. sensor) laying in the engine bay?
Old 02-20-2006, 06:21 PM

I didnt even install this turbo myself so I wasnt responsible for putting the sensors in place. The guy who did it obviously left it out in the open. I didnt even know what was what.

I only boost 5 psi on heavy throttle. On normal 1-2 or nothing at all.

I dont know if this will help but when I got my turbo the guy who installed it noticed there was some shaft play to it..if its not the gasket or the head itself then the turbo might have gone bad.

If I do have a cracked head..then thats just devastating to me.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:42 PM

Bleh, when working with turbos, you have to be able to diagnose problems yourself like this.

You blew the headgasket or cracked the head as said before. Go through and replace everything the codes tell you to do. Hope that you didn't crack the head, even though its fairly cheap. Replace the plugs as you probably fouled them.

Check the compression after you get it up and running and hope you didn't fry anything. Thats when you start paying out the ass.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:47 PM

question: if he did crack the head, how did that happen?
Old 02-20-2006, 06:54 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ by overheating the engine = commen problem with aluminum head and cast iron block, aluminum heats up faster and warps when not properly cooled.

EDIT: im not saying it is a cracked head or blown head gasket just telling u the symptoms match up. it might be just that sensor or as tibby01 says.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:55 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

why are you guys immediately saying cracked head?

the IAT plays a super big part in timing. that is its only purpose. drill a hole in the intake pipe by the MAF and stick the sensor in there. USE THE RUBBER GROMMET OUT OF YOUR STOCK INTAKE BOX so that the IAT rests snugly in there.

that black stuff could be bits of your cat blowing out from running really rich, so you will probably need a new cat. also change your plugs.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:59 PM

Yeah I would definatly plug in the Air temp sensor, ... you kinda need that.

Kinda like if your nose was'nt hooked up to your brain, you would'nt be able to tell if your sniffing glue or not wink1.gif.

The computer needs those readings, to adjust your air/fuel mixture.
Are you using colder spark plugs?

yeah, the cat is probably toast, from fuel/coolant/oil/ sludge spitting outta there.
I agree with the head gasket possiblity, but without being there to see for my self, it's hard to say.

Just better hope it's not a cracked head = $$$

Good luck to ya, hope everything works out.