Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Off Brand Cai

Old 11-29-2005, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib

Only folks with automatics have fitment issues with the injen.
However, you'll regret not getting the AEM. It is designed much better, and the filter sits in a MUCH cooler spot outside the engine, behind the driver's foglight actually. Injen's design still places the filter underneath the battery tray, which is still in your engine.
Take it from guys like me which had the injen and switched.

After you get the intake, go with headers/exhaust.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:13 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zoned019 @ Nov 29 2005, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Only folks with automatics have fitment issues with the injen.
However, you'll regret not getting the AEM. It is designed much better, and the filter sits in a MUCH cooler spot outside the engine, behind the driver's foglight actually. Injen's design still places the filter underneath the battery tray, which is still in your engine.
Take it from guys like me which had the injen and switched.

After you get the intake, go with headers/exhaust.</div>

Well good then you could send me your old injen.lol Just kidding
I already have an exhaust so i guess i would be looking into headers next any good suggestions?
Also what is it that you actually gain from different headers
Old 11-29-2005, 03:15 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Already sold it.
You have a full cat-back exhaust?
After you've got the CAI installed, and since you already have an exhaust, headers will open up your system a LOT. They will 'feel' like your biggest upgrade. A good kick in the ass.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:20 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

It's an okay intake. Shit you pay 15.99 you get 15.99 dollar quality. The only disadvantages is that you have an automatic and for some reason suto tib owners have trouble fitting this CAI.

The other disadvantage is your intake filter will be placed lower but it is still DAMN hot where your filter is. It will be getting some air incoming through the front bumper while driving, but...
take your hand and stick it right above your clutch cable/tranny area after a long drive and tell me it's not hot air surrounding it. fing02.gif

THe AEM has a couple more bends in the tubing AFTER where your intake filter is which locates the filter OUTSIDE the engine bay and ridht smack in front of the driver size tire/wheel. The little hole in the RD1 front bumper (unless you have fog lights) rams air into your filter. Voila!. ..that's w/ an AEM tho. Like 10x the price you paid for your CAI. literally.

and as you stated in your first post, I woudl like to recommend my advice. wink1.gif
If you plan on stickng with this car a long time and modding it (you just bought it so I assume you are entering that stage where you must buy something for it every month and are eagerly searching eBAy for the next cheap-o mod available..)..

anyways, if so^^, educate yourself GREATLY on all your possibilities when planning a modification (no matter how simple). Then, made an aducated decision based on your own situation, one that you will not regret in the future.

The main point: When modding your car, do it once, do it RIGHT.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:55 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

^^^very well put. Nice work.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:16 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yah lol, i agree, i spell Cold air intake F-M-I-C fing02.gif

thats what i call doing it right, but i dont regret buying my bomz for the first year and a half i owned my tib. installing it taught me alot, gave me a couple hp, some props (visual), and i ended up re-using some of the couplers on my IC piping.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:21 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Then, made an aducated decision based on your own situation, one that you will not regret in the future.</div>

some of us can't afford the boost decision and don't plan on being able to afford the boost decision anytime in the future. 02.gif
Old 11-30-2005, 01:06 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Patreezy @ Nov 29 2005, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>take your hand and stick it right above your clutch cable/tranny area after a long drive and tell me it's not hot air surrounding it.</div>

To be fair, it doesn't sit above the tranny. The filter is well below the battery, the end of it slightly lower than the tranny and in front of it. It's just as low as where an AEM would be, in fact if I were to move my filter less than a foot straight over towards the fender it would be inside it. I may be missing a mudguard or something, but the inside of the fender is open there anyway. I'm sure the air is slightly cooler there, but I wouldn't expect a noticeable performance increase, since the piping has to be longer and have more bends to get there. The only reason I want mine in the fender is to protect it from splashed up water and winter chemicals on the road. Last winter when there was slush and salt for several weeks I ran it short ram style with just the elbow.

Disclaimer: I don't have the exact model linked to above, mine was over $50 IIRC and came with better hoses. But that one looks the same otherwise. I _personally_ don't think an AEM is worth the extra $150. I'm not not saying it isn't better all-around, I'm positive it's better quality and a better design. I just think the price:performance ratio is too steep, and that money could be put to better use elsewhere.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:18 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

educated patreezy, funny word to misspell haha

im assuming thats your car in your sig? with the nice rims and nice hood? was that free?
Old 11-30-2005, 01:35 AM

nice hood was one of the first made, proto, got a deal. rims were cheap as hell off ebay, new tires were sorta free (payed for labor) cuz I had a hook-up. The price of that hood/rims was prob price of you F-M-I-C. wink1.gif

I been up for 38hrs, i think. 24 of those were spent in field training for arnold air society (sorta like a fraternity branched from the US Air Force ROTC). and it was not fun. They gave us an hour break to eat an MRE, but..

yea..
this is me now:

my eyes are friggin bloodshot I'm so tired...i'm allowed to typo. LOL

But anyway, I have nothing against this intake, good gains for the money. I guess you coudl say more bang for your buck, it's all about what YOU want. Dont' do what others want and end up regretting it, for not going through with your own opinions/best judgement.

I know people who buy them just because they some in red (the real injen's I mean) and the AEM's don't. *cough JD...ninja.gif