Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Ode To The RD Tiburon

Old 04-29-2011, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Yea, last i "heard" was it was sold was ran as just a bad ass drag car, guy beat the sh*t out of it, and sold it for cheap with two motors that needed to be rebuilt, as he was running the car on alcohol. But ran into alot of issues from there!

Last I saw was while i was over seas about a year ago, and it was for sale like stated above, 2 bad non running engines, tons of corrosion from running alky...
Old 04-30-2011, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon

When Yamaha was looking to sell it I was seriously considering buying it but I was working too many hours and had too many cars that weren't running already. This was around Thanksgiving 2008 I think.

Car wasn't running due to both the fuel pumps being shot and needing rebuilt/replaced. Hood had also flown off of the car at some point and needed to be repaired but never saw pictures of the damage. The car only had like 20k on the clock but most of that was track time I'm guessing.

I always regretted not buying this car and if it ever did come up for sale again I would probably buy in in a heartbeat. But yes it was a great design on paper but very very poorly executed in the build. Everybody who owns it looks at it and goes "WTF" and sells it off before attempting any work. How sad.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It's not like the thing was made of magic. Get yourself a couple of cars and a welder, plus the transmission controller, and go to town. The only money you would save buying this car is money spent buying one shell. It would surprise me if ANY of the major components don't need rebuilt, and then you are right back to spending the same amount or more than just starting with good used parts.

It wouldn't even be too hard to do a LOT better. 300HP on a turbo Beta is (relatively) easy. We have amateurs here with drivers over 400, but you might have to start doing something special in the automatic transaxles at that power level. Then you're looking at 800HP on an AWD setup in a car with the weight of an RD.

Until someone builds another one, that will stand as the Official Best Burnout EVAR!1!+_!