Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Octan Booster

Old 05-04-2005, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read on the back of at least 5 differents "Octane Booster"... All of them said that is not recommended to use it a lot, because it harms the Air sensor of the Exhaust and also the CAT.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:15 PM

i used the racing NOS can once, and the Lucas Oil racing once. I didn't really feel any difference. It may have sounded smoother, but i think its cuz i was wishing i bought 5 gallons of fuel instead of 1 quart of additive. Just my 2cents
Old 05-04-2005, 03:34 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Random @ May 4 2005, 01:38 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Zman-
The 90 Octane you refer to is via the RON method. The USA uses a different system for Octane measurement, so it would be slightly below our 87 Octane.
If you were to do back to back blind tests (someone else fill your tank and not tell you what grade of gas was in the tank) you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the 95 or 97 octane.
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>

It's good to have you posting in shape again! laugh.gif I was typing my post the same time you were and I didn't got the chance to read yours first.

Yeah, as usual you are right about rating method, we use RON here.
And you are right also about realizing differences between 95 and 97 gasoline, it's not such a big difference (actually I only noted what could be a "mind trick" better mileage when I compared in three different tank fill ups); but I definitely notice a difference if I use the local 90 (which would be ~ 86 for you right?) because then you can really tell the car reacts slower and the mileage definitely goes up (but again I think it occurs because trying to compensate for the "lost" power you tend to step deeper on the throttle.
So, what do you think Random, there might be other factors in gasoline formulation that could affect performance if it's not the octane rating? Maybe one formula evaporates better in the combustion chamber or something like that?
I really don't know the differences in formulation between 90 and 97, but they always say that the 97 is a "better and cleaner" gasoline, might be a myth as you have mentioned.