Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Obd Port Work

Old 07-03-2010, 02:18 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok, so today I set forth to mess around with the obd port. I had minimal sucess. Here was the first barrier... The Electical Troubleshooting Manual was wrong!

As you can see, the picture refers to the same plug by different names as well as different pins. They are the same thing, but the shop manual turned out to be correct! UGH!!!!

Anyways.. I did come up with this:

I attemted to resolder the wires on my ELM327 and move the K-line to the Possible Airbag line. I was not able to get any readable data. I did, however, see lights flickering which acknowledged the data transmission. I'm about 90% sure that pin 12 is the airbag communications port. How to talk to it though?

I may need to rewire signal ground to one of the WTF lines.

Ok, I just got done checking out those additional lines mentioned above

I went through each of the individual lines by disconnecting the OBD communication line from my ELM327 V1.0 unit and resoldering it to the appropriate pin. Normally it is a red wire connected to pin 7, K-Line. This is the primary means of communication.

pin 11, when grounded to pin 5 performs a diagnostic on the Electronic Power Steering. It does have a send/receive function, but I am not able to figure out it's logic right now. I have scanned the heck out of it and cannot come across anything except that it actually accepts serial data.

Pin 12 is for sure Airbag comunications, I have not figured out the protocal. I believe an ELM 327 V1.4 chip has the capabilities necessary to communicate with this line.

Pin 9 may or may not be used for reprogramming the ECU... This is a tricky one and will require further investigation.

So this is what I've established thus far...

pin 4 = body ground
pin 5 = communications ground
pin 7 = K-Line - OBD diagnostics
pin 9 = possible reprogramming line (proprietary to Hyundai)
pin 11 = EPS diagnostic line (proprietary to Hyundai)
pin 12 = Airbag diagnostic line (proprietary to Hyundai)
pin 15 = L-Line - Used to wake the ECU for communications (no longer used on modern cars)
pin 16 = Battery Voltage +