Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

O2 Sensor Removal

Old 06-07-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I am getting ready to pull the trigger to replace the O2 sensor in my sons '01 Tib. Prior to doing so I wanted to check a couple things with everyone here because your knowledge is a lot deeper than mine.

First, this is the sensor I am about to pull the trigger on; please let me know if this is correct:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/...1QQBS13367.html
http://tinyurl.com/l8nbja (select Oxygen sensor - it is 13367)

If that is correct, which I feel it is, what size wrench do these things take? I read here that someone recommended a 7/8 box end; but I tried mine and could not get it over the nut due to it hitting the exhaust manifold. Is there a trick I should be using?

As usual, thank you in advance for any help.

Cheers!

-R
Old 06-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I cut the end off a wrench so it could work in the limited space available. Then I used a little hammer to tappa-tappa until it came loose.

Be sure to use a penetrating oil on it and let it get a good soak; these sensors (especially the upstream/top/by the head one) are known for getting siezed up in the fitting and then you need to go get headers and a high flow cat (or something).

Not sure about the specific part number, but I can tell you this: I have heard more stories than you can shake a bad oxygen sensor at, of people who have had VERY short service life from a non-OEM O2 sensor in a Hyundai. Bite the bullet and buy it from a dealership, or else be prepared to <u>use</u> a free replacement warranty from your parts house.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:38 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Autozone with their tool-loaner program has a tool to remove the O2 sensor - essentially a socket with a slit in it that you can slide the wires through so you can get the socket on the sensor. Essentially you give them the money for the tool, then you can return it and get your money back. I never returned mine (probably why they have the loaner program) because I've used it so many times.

I'm using a non-OEM sensor (universal from Autozone that you have to wire in yourself - I soldered mine because the provided way of wiring was terrible) for several thousand miles with no issues thus far, but I might be an abnormality.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:57 AM

Update:

I installed the new O2 sensor last night. What a difference. I had disconnected the neg battery cable the previous night to drain the ECM. During installation I used a stick to depress the brake pedal to make sure all capacitors were also drained.

The idle is much smoother. The vibration when in reverse all but gone. Since it is an automatic the off the line acceleration is still OK. Once moving though it is quite noticeable. I cannot wait to see what my mileage goes to.

I picked up an Bosch 13367 (OEM) sensor from - off all places - amazon.com since they had the best prices ($51 + shipping). When I opened the box I was concerned because it does look different. Seeing how the car is working much better it is obvious that it is working.

Thank you to all for the help in getting it done.

Cheers!

-Randy