Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Not making my car sound like rice?

Old 08-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I'm guessing nobody has said anything to your face b/c nobody cares about your car as much as you do. How many people have you told their cars sound lame? I've NEVER said it to anyone. I figure if they have their car sounding like a moped, they want it that way & it's not my business.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:50 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

That 2nd video is how my car used to sound. The first video is how it sounds now. It's livable. Like I said, It sounds a bit ricey when I step on it. I also said i'd recommend a resonator instead of a glass pack.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:53 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I went back and added parts descriptions on the separate videos. Those were 2 separate exhausts in the same parking lot.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i'll never be able to figure out these exhausts haha. i'm sort of the same way. BUUT...

when i had my 2.5'' x 31'' thrush, it was so good. i had a Supra guy pull up and compliment me. i've since switched to a 25'' thrush because it was the only one they made in stainless... and it sounds worse. it sounded ricey as hell. so i had to add another glasspack in the back on the second bend. it sounds good now, but nothing like my 31''. that being said, i believe the best thing you can possibly do is fit the longest possible glasspack in the midpipe + a 12'' glasspack in the rear and it will do wonders. it'l cost you a pretty penny though.

here up front is the cat, glasspack 1, glasspack 2.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:35 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Maybe I should film a clip of mine. Not much to it except for dp and muffler. Well maybe the turbo mod as well helps it out a bit.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:44 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

turbo = best muffler ever

my current setup goes:

manifold-turbo-3.5" downpipe-3" cat-3" over axle-3" dynomax ultraflo

sounds a tad loud but nothing excessive
Old 08-05-2010, 06:07 AM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

YES!!!!

Turbo= AMAZING SOUND!!!

MY BOOSTED TIB IS A CUSTOM CAST TUBING, EQUAL LENGTH!!!! AND A STAINLESS 3" TURBO BACK TO A TRUE HKS HIGH POWER!!!

SOUNDS JUST LIKE A SUBBIE IF NOT BETTER, THERE ARE PEOPLE ALL THE TIME ASKING ME IF MY CAR IS RUNNING ON 3 CYLINDERS I JUST SMILE...

I HAVE NO TRUE MUFFLER JUST A TURBO AND THE FART CAN, AND IT IS PRETTY QUITE UNTILL IT SPOOLS THEN IT IS KINDA LOUD, BUT IT IS SEXY SO IT DONT MATTER TO ME!!!!

SO BASICALLY JUST GO TURBO!!!!!

THERE ARE A FEW PEOPLE ON HERE THAT CAN TELL YOU HOW MY CAR SOUNDS OR IF YOU WERE AT THE 4TH ANNUAL MEET IN WASHINGTON A WHILE BACK YOU WOULD HAVE HEARD HER PUR!!! LOL
Old 08-05-2010, 09:33 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Tiburon SE

^^^

CAPS LOCK STUCK, YO?

@DTN, thanks for the videos and advice. Funny thing is though, I had a resonator before and even after taking it off (because it got to the point where it was rattling) and welding a piece of straight pipe across, it made no significant difference in the sound coming out of the exhaust. With that said, I don't know how much of a difference adding a resonator again will make. I think I'm just going to skip the header and just focus on not making my car sound like rice anymore.

I'll post a video tonight or tomorrow just to give you guys an idea of what it sounds like now and you can be the judge. I just wasn't very impressed with it myself, but other people's opinions about things like this are more valuable than my own.

Also: I won't be going turbo with my car, ever. It costs money I just don't want to even bother investing in the car at this point. I got one of those mind-opening revelations the other day that made me understand that my car is not and does not have the potential to be the most badass car on the road. I'd rather save my cash and buy something newer and already badass once I get out of school, but keep this one well-maintained and looking good for as long as I can.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:02 PM

Please send me a link to the Dynomax superturbo muffle, i need to buy a new muffler.

Thanks....
Old 01-26-2011, 08:17 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Here is the link to the BEST MUFFLER money can buy!!!!

Dynomax superturbo Muffler

Also have i told you, it has the capability to double or more your HP!!!!