Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Night And Day Driving??

Old 04-26-2005, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok i realize that a car does drive better at night because the air is cooler. Well my car feels like it has like 30 more horses at night. It really feels like a different car at night. And it doesnt seem normal. I got an 01 tibby with aem cold air, ssa cat back and a ss,(got a header but not installed yet). Now i also noticed that the exhaust gets alot louder durin the day, i take it its cause of the heat and the pipe expands a bit. Does that make a tib lose some power durin the day? Sorry if some of these questions are dumb. Right now its like 90ish around where i live during the day and 65-70 at night.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:50 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dmatrix @ Apr 26 2005, 04:46 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ok i realize that a car does drive better at night because the air is cooler. Well my car feels like it has like 30 more horses at night. It really feels like a different car at night. And it doesnt seem normal. I got an 01 tibby with aem cold air, ssa cat back and a ss,(got a header but not installed yet). Now i also noticed that the exhaust gets alot louder durin the day, i take it its cause of the heat and the pipe expands a bit. Does that make a tib lose some power durin the day? Sorry if some of these questions are dumb. Right now its like 90ish around where i live during the day and 65-70 at night.
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>
ive noticed that also, yesterday it was a huge diferance for me though, like during the day the accelerator was realy tough to push and the car was slugish but at night ig ently pressed it and the car was uber responsive. I'm gonna asume its climate related, not maybe just heat, but with heat often times humidity and moistioure and such so id expect that at a cooler temp the air is denser and better "booms" in the engine, hence you also get better economy.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:56 AM

It's absolutely normal for the car to feel faster when it's cooler. Especially if there's a 20 to 30 degree difference between night and day. I really doulbt it's a 30hrspower difference but you can definatley feel the difference.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:32 AM

My car feels a tad slower durring the hot days, so it's normal bud smile.gif

And at the track if I was racing at 5pm when it was 85 degrees I would get one time, and at 9pm at 60 degrees I could get my car .1 second faster or so smile.gif

So, I estimate about 2-3whp loss with those 25 extra degrees!
Old 04-26-2005, 03:06 PM

it is more pronounced on a boosted car, but yes, any internal combustion powered vehicle has more power at night when the air is cooler and usually a little more humid. It is just a matter of cooler air being more dense AND the humidity in the air acts as a natural anti-knock, so the car can run more advanced timing.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:13 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

this fact is only more proven by my experiences in light aircraft. When climbing up to 8,000 feet the temperatur can be considerably colder than at SL. It can be 21C at SL and get to 0-5C at only 8K feet. The airplane performs considerably better in the colder (more dense) air and even climbs at a faster rate.

But there are other factors such as carbeurator ice (yes our little Cessna internal combustion engines STILL have carbeurators.)
And, you must lean the AF mixture as you increase altitude to compensate for the high altitude, otherwise the positive affects of the colder air will be irrevelant due to the fact that the air pressure decreases w/ altitude.

Planes are kinda cool, I wish our cars had a red knob you could pull to lean out or richen the AF but we are stuck with FI cars and have to buy SAFC and the such.

Plus night time driving always seems faster. (even is temp in day is the same as night)...just because it's nightime and your surroundings are different.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:36 AM

What about the sound of your exhaust during the day and at night? You guys hear a big difference those of you who have an exhaust?
Old 04-27-2005, 12:43 AM

I don't think there is a difference. At least I didn't notice any.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:56 PM

Thats weird cause my exhaust is alot louder during the day...im guessing its the heat.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:03 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Seems to me the sound is the same but deff more power when cooler. Feels like 4-7 hp to me from 65 or so in morning and 80 90 in the afternoon