Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

New Tiburon Owner

Old 11-13-2012, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Originally Posted by onecrazyfoo4u
I regularly get 30-32 mpg with 90% highway driving. My 01 has 141k miles on her. I was getting about 27mpg, then I put a $40 ebay intake on it and my mileage jumped up instantly. Plus it sounds great and hopefully gave a few extra ponies.

Even though the timing belt has been changed, I would open up the timing cover and check the freeplay on it and condition of belt. It's just 4 10mm bolts, super easy. Free play should be roughly 0.25-0.5" I believe. My belt just blew and I had to do a whole head swap, it was not fun!

How much did you get your tib for?

I think I did good on the price, I got her for $3800 They wanted $4400 But Cash laid down on the hood Talked. LOL

The Retail KBB was $6600 on her.

That is a Nice Bump in MPG from adding the Intake ! I will Be looking into doing that pretty soon,, Did you do just a short intake or a Long one ? Whats the Difference between the two ? I'm assuming the longer one may give the engine a touch cooler air ?

Desode
Old 11-13-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by faithofadragon
welcome

dont ask if xx engine will fit

dont ask if you can make it rwd/awd

LMAO !!! Faithofdragon ,, I promise I won't ask such a thing ! .. I am close to 40 yrs old so ,,I would like to think that showing my age will shed a little more light on who I am at this point in time.. HAHAHA

The Thought of someone asking such a thing gave me a Nice Laugh though,,,,, However, I'm Sure it has happened on here !! LOL

Desode
Old 11-13-2012, 05:25 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

youd be surprised how many times ive seen those questions over the past 12 years ive been around hyundai forums
Old 11-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Cold Air Intake - Filter is below the battery or in the fender well --- draws in cooler air from the outside --- cooler air = more HP

Short Ram Intake - Filter sits in the engine bay --- draws warmer air into the engine but zero chance of hydro lock and gives better throttle response

Old 11-13-2012, 06:31 PM

Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

Faith, Dude! :O 2jz tiburon, think about it... 1,000 hp 2,500 lb road monster! haha

Welcome to the forums
Old 11-14-2012, 07:42 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

A tib in the garage is cruse control for great times.

If you're looking for an ornate e-boot, I'm working on an e- and shift boot for my tib using some leftover cf/kev cloth from some of the engine bits. If you just want a pleather job to get the deal done I might be able to source something. Otherwise this guy seems to have some stuff on ebay. Probably better quality and cheaper than anything I'd make

Originally Posted by Zekkal
Faith, Dude! :O 2jz tiburon, think about it... 1,000 hp 2,500 lb road monster! haha

Welcome to the forums
Old 11-14-2012, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Visionz
Cold Air Intake - Filter is below the battery or in the fender well --- draws in cooler air from the outside --- cooler air = more HP

Short Ram Intake - Filter sits in the engine bay --- draws warmer air into the engine but zero chance of hydro lock and gives better throttle response

Visionz,,I see some people just put a " Air Bypass Valve" on the cold air intake to prevent water or snow from getting in there and hydrolocking the engine.

Did you use one of those ? if so whats the pros and cons of it ?

Thanks, Desode
Old 11-14-2012, 01:15 PM

well, the pro is you get a sponge to hold out water

the con is it doesnt work

when i had a CAI, i kept a screw driver in my car for just in case

if it started raining, id pop off the filter and make the thing into a short ram intake
Old 11-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Think of it like a straw.

Dip a straw into a glass of water, poke a hole into a piece above the water. If you suck on the straw, it pulls air in from the hole and has a hard time pulling water up through the straw. If you pull the straw out of the water, the air moves freely through the straw but might be lost through the hole you poked.

that's how the bypass valve operates in theory.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:27 PM

ill take your example majik and roll with it

even with a small hole in your straw, you can still suck up water

my issue with the bypass is 99% of the time you are not driving in the rain.

When you arent in the rain, air is being pulled from the bypass, gettin rid of any gain you possibly could have by running a CAI